En EspaÑol

Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 99 next >> 
9,847 Results:   10  25  50 100 per page

topicquestion
Identification of plant on shores of Lake Erie
September 27, 2011
I've used Newcomb's and several other guides but cannot ID: Green small dot like flowers, found on the beach of Lake Erie in Dunkirk NY, many of them growing right in the sand. Smells very much, a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

New growth on live oaks in Houston
September 27, 2011
My 2 10yr. old live oaks are putting out new growth (branches?) although, here in Houston, TX we are having such a drought. For the last 3 months, I have conscientiously watered my entire yard via ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Has overwatering harmed cherry laurels in Austin?
September 27, 2011
I am so upset. I know we've been having a terrible drought this year in Austin, and I've been trying to balance water conservation with protecting our recent very large investment for massive lands...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant identification of conifer-like low plant in Alabama
September 27, 2011
When walking in woods of Alabama we found a plant that grows along the ground. looks like a conifer about 2 or 3 inches tall, has a trailing vine under the leaves and pops up little sprigs of greener...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant for a salt water pool in Australia
September 27, 2011
What plant is a perfect plant for small areas around a salt water pool?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Evergreen privacy hedge resistant to verticillium wilt
September 27, 2011
I am looking for an evergreen, fast-growing privacy hedge (over 6') that is resistant to verticillium wilt and has low water requirements. I live in Monrovia, CA and have to replace hopseed bushes w...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Small native trees for northern Virginia
September 27, 2011
Mr. Smarty Plants, I am looking for a native alternative to a Japanese Red Maple in northern Virginia. I would like a small tree that I can put in my front garden that will not pose a security risk my...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Eliminating black locust volunteers in Rockville MD
September 27, 2011
I am a landscape designer whose client has a very large, mature black locust in her front yard. Not surprisingly, she also has multitudes of black locust volunteers popping up all over her yard. The...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problem with non-native bower vine (Pandorea jasminoides)
September 27, 2011
I live in Temecula, CA I have grown pink bower vines before with great success. I recently purchased 2 bower vines and planted them on each side of a trellis in full sun. They flower but do not grow...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

What variety of Opuntia is best for eating in Boerne, TX.
September 26, 2011
Which variety of Opuntia, is best for eating the pads and which are the ones best eaten for fruit?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of spiky red berry in Connecticut
September 25, 2011
I found an odd berry outside of my school, none of the science teachers know what it is though. It kind of looks like a spiked cherry. It has spikes on the outside, a pit on the insde, and has pinkish...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Swarming insects on non-native willow in Washington PA
September 25, 2011
I have had a very large, beautiful pillow willow bush/tree growing next to our garage for about 8 years. Last year at the end of August, it began to attract white-faced hornets and yellow jackets by t...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant called beargrass from Granbury, TX
September 24, 2011
I am not a native Texan. We have a clump of what my husband (from Big Spring) calls "Bear Grass." It is over to the side of our yard and we have always enjoyed it (moved here in 1982). It blooms ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Deer-resistant groundcover for New Braunfels, TX
September 24, 2011
Could you recommend some deer resistant ground cover plants for the New Braunfels area? We have tried Ajuga and Katie's Ruellia and they have been eaten.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Dying trees in San Marcos, Texas
September 24, 2011
I live on 11 acres in San Marcos and cannot water at all during this drought. All of my oaks and mountain laurels are turning brown. Does this mean they are all dying? Will they come back in the sp...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Source for Abutilon fruticosum (Indian mallow) seeds
September 24, 2011
Do you know anyone who has Abutilon Fruticosum (Indian Mallow) seeds for sale? I would love to grow the Indian Mallow, but can't locate a source. Thanks!
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Drought stressed wooly butterflybush in Atlanta, TX
September 24, 2011
My butterfly bush is dead looking from the drought. Do you think there is a chance it just went dormant and will return next year. I am still putting water on it. I believe it is a white wooly butterf...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of tree with strawberry-like fruit in North Carolina
September 24, 2011
While visiting Boone, North Carolina we walked the Greenway in town. There were a few trees with a round red fruit similar to a strawberry. They were about the size of a penny and a dull red color dot...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Patience pays off with chile pequin in Austin
September 24, 2011
Hello. Re my June 08, 2011 message -- Guess what! The chile pequin is finally flowering and setting fruit in its container on my apartment patio. You said patience, you were right, and hooray once aga...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants to stabilize sandy slope in Massachusetts
September 23, 2011
Dear Mr. Smartypants, I am working on a small public housing project in Chelmsford, MA, northwest of Boston. We have a steep, sunny and SANDY slope and I am stumped as to what to recommend that wi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Live oak trees with rusty spots and holes on tree trunks
September 21, 2011
I have live oak trees that have developed rusty spots, small holes on the tree trunks and sawdust on the trees base. They were planted in Oct 2010. We have had a hot dry summer in Texas this year an...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need suggestions for plants for a privacy screen for a pecan orchard in Chappell Hill, TX.
September 21, 2011
Mr. Smarty Plants, My family has just begun converting our land in Chappell Hill, TX (Washington County) into a pecan orchard. We had to clear a lot of the overgrowth around the edge of the proper...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native alternative for liriope
September 20, 2011
I am looking for native alternatives to liriope for use in sun to part shade, moderate moisture planting beds. Would prefer evergreen options.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Trees suited for rocky, caliche soil of Central Texas
September 20, 2011
I need to replace aging ashes. I have planted 2 Monterey oaks, but I would like to know what else I could plant whose roots will grow well in NW Austin caliche, rocky soil? Thank you.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Pest damage to Yaupon shrubs in Austin, TX
September 18, 2011
I have noticed pest damage in our 4 ft. yaupon. There are circular holes eaten on 90% of the leaf growth. Trunk & branches look untouched and healthy. Could this be leafminers? How can I care for it?...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need to find an alternative to Bradford Pear in the Woodlands, TX
September 18, 2011
Hello! I am trying to find an alternative tree to a Bradford Pear. I love the seasonal change in these and ordered one, but after the many negative reviews I've read (smell, weakness in branches, mes...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Livestock Watering Tanks Used for Container Gardening at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center
September 17, 2011
We would like to use livestock watering tanks like the ones use the the Wildflower Center for plantings in our backyard in Plano, Texas. We have found some to purchase in McKinney, Texas. What do we n...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need help growing plants in red dirt in Mount Pleasant, NC.
September 17, 2011
I live in N.C. and I have had the hardest time getting plants to grow;I have red dirt at my house. Can you suggest a few colorful plants that would do real well in red dirt? Thank You So Very Much!!!!...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Worms in non-native snake plant from Hillsborough NC
September 17, 2011
I purchased a snake plant this summer for my screened in porch. I did not repot it and left it in the plastic pot in came it. I was about to repot the plant to bring it in and noticed there are worm...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Could hickory leaves be used as seasoning from Waynesboro VA
September 17, 2011
I have a hickory tree. If I pull a leaf off and rip it then smell, there is a strong wonderful scent of hickory much like when I rip a mint leaf there is a strong smell of mint. So my question is, can...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Sad Germanders in Johnson City Texas
September 16, 2011
I have some grey bush germanders that never seem to do well although they did at first when I planted them four years ago. They have sun and dappled shade on the south side of the house. A friend in ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of groundcover plant in north Georgia mountains
September 16, 2011
Was trail riding in N GA mountains - saw pretty ground cover plant ? vine - small green leaves with whitish borders almost look like clover leaves and has small bright red red berries - this was Aug 2...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Appropriate plants for septic field from Raymore MO
September 15, 2011
Is it practical to plant coneflower, garden phlox, etc. on a septic drain field?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

List of plants native to the Abilene, Texas area
September 15, 2011
Am looking for direction to a complete list of plants native to the Abilene, Taylor County, Texas area (trees, shrubs, grasses, cacti and other plants that grew here before cultivation, eradication or...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Nativity of Salvia coccinea (scarlet sage)
September 14, 2011
Is Salvia coccinea native to Florida? In wikipedia they say it is native to Mexico.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Wildseed Planting in a drought
September 14, 2011
Due to the extreme drought and no rain in the near future in central Texas would it be prudent to have a wildseed planting in October?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is Passiflora 'Purple Haze' a host to Gulf Frittilary butterflies?
September 14, 2011
Is the passion flower purple haze (pasionaria purple haze) a host plant to gulf frittilary butterflies as is the passiflora incarnata passion flower?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant identification in Georgia
September 14, 2011
I saw the same question that I was going to ask about the plant that folds its leaves at dusk, with sparse branches, rapid growth, small yellow flowers and long (whisker-like, but do not appear to be ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Are there edible nettles native to the Austin, TX area?
September 13, 2011
Are there any nettles native to this area? I would like to cook with them (if there is a good substitute, please advise). Thank you.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Seed planting of Crossvine from Orlando FL
September 12, 2011
Seed planting of Bignonia capreolata - Tangerine Beauty. I have seed pods. Do I plant how deep and should I put in a plastic bag with a wet papertowel in the refrigerator and let it sprout? ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

How can I distinguish Hibiscus laevis from Pavonia braziliensis in New Braunfels, TX?
September 12, 2011
How can I distinguish Hibiscus laevis (Halberdleaf Hibiscus) from Pavonia braziliensis (Brazillian Rock Rose)? Earlier this year I was given the former by a friend and former NPSOT chap...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Wildflowers for a pond in MO
September 10, 2011
I have a spring fed pond in Missouri and would like to plant perennial wildflowers in the area around it. Are there any that would do better or others that are not recommended? Thank you.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Pruning live oak shoots from San Antonio
September 10, 2011
I am new to TX and am curious about removing suckers/water sprouts from my Live Oaks. Everything I've read about pruning Live Oaks states that you must paint ALL cuts, so I assume that all means al...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

September 09, 2011
In North Central Texas recommended plants, there are three coneflowers listed: Echinacea angustifolia-Black sampson E. purpurea-Purple coneflower E. purpurea-Eastern purple coneflower Is the Eas...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

What to do if Mexican buckeye seeds are eaten
September 09, 2011
What to do if seeds of the Mexican buckeye are eaten? I didn't know they were toxic. Please let me know as soon as you can. Thank you
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Wildflowers for Daleville AL
September 08, 2011
What wildflowers will grow in Daleville AL, in almost all day sun ? Thank you.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Shrubby options for a bird lover in New Jersey
September 07, 2011
Could you please recommend a native shrub to NJ that grows to about 3-4 feet, is very low maintenance, does well in afternoon sun and is also something the birds will like? Thank you.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Sap oozing from non-native Chinese pistache in San Antonio
September 07, 2011
I live in San Antonio, and my chinese pistache is exuding copious amounts of a sticky sap from old trim sites and from the trunk itself. The tree is about 12 years old and has been healthy up until no...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Striped caterpillars on Cornus sericea (redtwig dogwood)
September 07, 2011
My red-twig dogwood has white/black striped caterpillars that congregate on the underside of the leaves and they are stripping the leaves. What can I do? They almost look like Monarch butterfly larvae...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant identification of tree in North Carolina
September 07, 2011
I live in North Carolina have found a tree on our property that has thorny branches and round fruit (perfectly round) with a fuzzy outer layer that starts out green but then turns yellow. The inside r...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Caterpillars devouring Blue Wild Indigo in Jesup GA
September 05, 2011
I have a false blue indigo growing in my garden. Every spring it gets defoliated by Genista moth caterpillars. It usually doesn't put out new growth until the next spring. This summer, it has put ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

A tree for fall color in VA
September 05, 2011
I need a small to medium-sized tree for enclosure/privacy screening. I'm looking for a fast-growing, deciduous tap-rooted tree for a lawn area about 30-40' away from an existing mature Linden, and ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

September 05, 2011
This incredible plant has grown up in the past two months. Considering the extreme heat of this summer, my husband assumes it must be a weed. We have had this skinny strip of dirt for four years, and ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need shrubs to plant alongside a swimming pool in Tampa, FL.
September 05, 2011
I Have a 3 1/2 foot gap between my pool screen and back fence. This gap runs about 30 ft. long. I would like to place small trees to look beautiful and to grow 6-8 ft. high to screen out my neighbor...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identifying a plant similar to sarsaparilla
September 04, 2011
I am trying to identify a plant that looks very similar to sasparilla, but has a ring of blue berries at the end of a long stalk, and the plant itself is spreading, not an isolated herb like sasparill...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Watering practices for live oaks in drought from New Braunfels TX
September 04, 2011
We have conflicting info about watering live oaks. An arborist says to water now using soaker hoses or small sprinklers and a landscaper who spoke to our garden club said that after August is too late...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native grasses for shady yard in Austin
September 04, 2011
I was looking at your research on native grasses to be used in a yard. I want to plant your native mix of seeds, but worry that there is too much shade in my yard. I live in central Austin and wante...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

More information on Malvavaceae from French botanical garden
September 04, 2011
hello thanks for the reply in your garden all of yours Malvaceae interested us but priority for this species could you help us ? regards Fabrice Absous Allowissadula holosericea Bastardia ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant identification for shrub in Florida
September 03, 2011
On our street we have ornamental shrub planted in the median that has small waxy green leaves, produces small fragrant white flowers, and red berries with white pulp and small seeds on the inside. Th...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Propagation of Cahaba lily from Columbia TN
September 03, 2011
My cahaba lilies have so many seed pods. I would like to use the seeds properly to grow more lilies. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about it? Thank you
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Have invasive plants no useful purpose from Anchorage AK
September 03, 2011
Does the definition of invasive plants include that the plant has no useful purpose? Thanks.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Stumps of fallen oaks in Hurricane Irene from Newton PA
September 03, 2011
Two large red oaks fell in the woods in our yard in Newtown PA due to Hurricane Irene. The trees have been removed, but the stumps remain. Please can you recommend some fast-growing, attractive, nativ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Survival of wildflowers after Hurricane Irene in Perkasie PA
September 03, 2011
Mr. Smarty Plants, We have (had) a beautiful row of wildflowers and sunflowers along the one side of our house. Now that Hurricane Irene has passed, most of the flowers are matted down from the wind...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is Purple Hopseed poisonous to dogs?
September 03, 2011
Is the Purple Hopseed plant safe for dogs? We would like to plant a hedge of the purple hopseed at my parents home. They are elderly and have a small (8lb.) dog that they just love so much..I would ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Propagation of Crossvine from San Antonio
September 03, 2011
I have a new Crossvine (Bignonia capreolata) that has a single seedpod so far. What is the best way to plant it for the best chances for success? It is still green and a very hot August. Do I plant ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Survival of bluebonnets in extreme heat from Tioga TX
September 03, 2011
Is there anything I can do for my bluebonnet patch in this extreme drought for the rest of the summer and fall? Should I have watered this summer? I had a good show and think seeding was fairly normal...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Request for seeds or cuttings for Malvaceae from French Botanical Garden
September 03, 2011
hello We create a botanical garden devoted to the Malvaceae, can you help us by sending us seeds or cuttings? friendly the director jean-marie Jolicard botanical garden beaulieu 23170 Lépaud F...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Dictionary of botanical names
September 02, 2011
I am looking for an online resource that will tell me what the botanical names mean, for example, Cornus florida. Why is it named that? Surely somewhere there is information that explains the meanin...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with Carolina Laurel Cherry from Pflugerville, TX
September 02, 2011
In 2007 we planted 7 Carolina Laurelcherry (Prunus caroliniana)across our back fence. Everything was fine until this year. Three of the trees seemed to get sick and a local arborist said the roots ne...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

September 01, 2011
I have a single stalked plant that has leaves with 5 lobes. Each lobe is also lobed. The leaves are dark green, staggered on the stalk opposite each other. Do you have any ideas what this is?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Eight Foot Screen for Austin, TX
September 01, 2011
I'm looking for a fast-growing shrub to "extend" the height of my fence and provide privacy in my yard in Austin. My lot is pretty much full sun and very dry, mostly clay soil. 8' is my goal. Than...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Landscaping plant for Austin
September 01, 2011
Great site! Have gotten lots of ideas. We're about to start construction on a fairly major landscaping project: raised beds/privacy screen. We're at the top of a hill in the Hill Country just wes...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant identification of vine in Virginia
September 01, 2011
Have vine that has small 3 pointed leaves somewhat like a grape but only an inch or 2 long. Adult fruit is black or purple egg shaped and only 3/4 of an inch long. Fruit is single in the middle of th...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Origin of thorned plant-like object falling from the sky
September 01, 2011
This morning while walking I felt a prick on my arm, like something had bitten me. I looked and saw what appeared to be a very tiny little plant with a thorn on it sticking out of my arm. I pulled i...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Taking plants to Alaska
August 31, 2011
I am moving from California to Alaska, can I take live plants?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Photos of Muhlenbergia rigida (purple muhly)
August 31, 2011
I have some potential images of Muhlenbergia rigida / Purple Muhley, I would like to share. (at the suggestion of a fellow blogger). Let me know if that plant is needed - thanks!
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Doggy berries
August 30, 2011
I recently wrote to you regarding my Doggy ingesting some berries from a neighbors out of control fence line-falling onto our property. The answer you gave was 100 % correct! Despite my feeble attempt...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is there a recommended list for Texas Eastern Cross Timbers?
August 29, 2011
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of plant with red berries toxic to dogs
August 29, 2011
I recently retrieved my poor doggy from the Vet. He had eaten a berry from an invasive-commonly seen brushy plant growing along my neighbors fence line. We try to keep our side clear-but the small lar...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant Identification
August 29, 2011
Hi- I am currently am AP Biology student and have two plants left to identify that I found at a lily pool in Chicago. Can you help me identify them? One I believe is a fern, the other a flower. Th...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Drought tolerant plants for MA
August 28, 2011
We have some very very poor soil at our house on Cape Cod and are looking for plants that will take low water and sandy soil. Also we are high on a hill and quite exposed to the elements. The plot get...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Foundation plants unlikely to provide good shade for rattlesnakes in TX
August 28, 2011
I would like to plant native grass around my new home in the country near Mason, TX. My concerns are the rattlesnakes that are common here, and if they could "hide" in the native grasses since they ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Bugs on Arizona Cypress in Bellwood IL
August 27, 2011
I live in Illinois and have an Arizona Cypress that looks like it is dying but I notice today it has bugs inside its cone. Can you tell me why and what can I do?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Origin of sticky, smelly substance on dog in Southern California
August 27, 2011
I just took my dog out (mid August) in Aguanga, CA (high desert) and, after coming back in, noted that his feet and legs were covered in a very sticky substance that STINKS - there is some kind of pla...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Butterfly bushes and weed killer in Pueblo West CO
August 27, 2011
I have 3 previously healthy butterfly bushes that have one by one developed masses of tiny yellowish-green compact leaves. The entire bush went from its normal healthy appearance to something that res...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Removing poison ivy in Cuba MO
August 27, 2011
I bought a home with a huge bed of hybrid iris but the bed is thick with poison ivy. If I cover myself head to toe to prevent getting it is there a way to clean the tubers so they will not be poison? ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Damage from Hurricane Irene in Burgaw, NC
August 27, 2011
We live in Burgaw, NC and have begun the clean up efforts of Hurricane Irene which has made a full grown crape myrtle lean to one side. Its a very large tree and it is not uprooted. Is there anyway ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Erosion at edge of driveway in Abilene TX
August 26, 2011
My lawn suffered a great loss of grass over the winter and the soil at the edge of the driveway is washing away with watering and the occasional rains that we have. I am trying to get the grass to gr...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need suggestions for plants for a bird/small wildlife refuge in Wichita Co, TX.
August 26, 2011
With our continuing drought in North Texas, I'm planning to transform my small backyard into a bird/small wildlife "refuge". What types of native plants and grasses can I plant in dry, hot Wichita ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native plants for shade in Ennis TX
August 26, 2011
My house faces south. The southwest side of the front yard has a Pride of Houston, Japanese Barberry, 2 crape myrtles and some dwarf yaupon hollies. The other section, divided by a stairway to the p...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Replacing mature Arizona Ash trees in Austin
August 26, 2011
Mr. Smarty Plants, I have 2 very large, very old Arizona Ash trees in my yard. I want to remove them and replace them with something like Cedar Elm or Chinquapin Oak. The problem is that they are t...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

August 26, 2011
I have found a small tree like plant that is small and the stem or trunk was thin and the leaves look like fern leaves. I also found a larger one it was thicker and closer to the ground the leaves wer...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Questions about Clematis virginiana in Austin, TX.
August 26, 2011
Hello! I have a few questions regarding Clematis virginiana. Is it scented? Does it attract birds and butterflies? Do only female flowers get the feathery plumes? If yes, how do I know if ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Non-native Pride of Barbados from San Antonio
August 26, 2011
I have some very successful wildly blooming "Dwarf Pride of Barbados" plants growing in my xeriscape garden. Each year I cut them back to the ground. I have just purchased a new variety called "...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Theory for live oak shoots from Austin
August 25, 2011
More on preventing suckers from coming up around live oaks in Austin. I too have been puzzled - why some live oaks have shoots, and not others. Posting here says different varieties have suckers. ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Safe distance from foundation for Sycamore from Preston UK
August 24, 2011
What would be the safe distance to have a sycamore tree near your house so it doesn't affect the foundations?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

August 24, 2011
I have searched through all the plant identifications and can not find the one I am looking for. I live 6o miles South of Rochester, NY. In my woods, I found 2 plants, that are no where else in the ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Average lifespan of Pinchot's Juniper from Golden CO
August 23, 2011
What is the average lifespan of Juniperus coahuilensis (syn. Juniperus texensis) trees?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Drought tolerant plants for IN
August 23, 2011
What are some plants that would do well in an east facing area near my front door? I live in Indianapolis IN. I need something that is drought resistant and will fill in a 4x3 foot walled off area th...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need suggestions for trees with non-invasive root system in Paramus, NJ.
August 23, 2011
What trees can I plant in New Jersey with non invasive root systems? We lost our tree to a storm and are looking for a viable replacement.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion