En EspaÑol
Mr. Smarty Plants - Question Topics

Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 91 next >> 
9,080 Results:   10  25  50 100 per page

topicquestion
How to Get Rid of Spike Rush in Raised Beds in Galveston
March 16, 2011
I have an infestation of spike rush in my raised beds and I want to know how to get rid of it, preferably without killing the insects. I have tried digging it up, but it returns. I live on Galveston B...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need Fast-Growing Screening Shrub for Arlington, TX
March 16, 2011
What fast growing shrub/tree could be planted along side a fence to provide additional privacy? We have a pool in our backyard and the view behind our house is less than enjoyable. We would like to ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native magnolias in MD
March 16, 2011
We live in Chevy Chase MD. Three tulip magnolias planted three years ago as part of a hedge died during the blizzard conditions we experienced the winter following their planting. This year as well w...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Blue agave with freeze damage in Lockhart TX
March 16, 2011
I recently planted a blue agave plant, and 4 days after I planted it the temperature dropped to 20 degrees at night. The plants are still alive but 75% of the outer limbs turned brown. What do I do wi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Want to Amend Soil Without Harming Earthworms in Dallas Area
March 16, 2011
I have a totally odd question. I live in the Dallas area in the blackland soil. I am removing sod from part of my back yard and will replant with nectar and host plants for butterflies. The soil is...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Deer Damage to Pencil Holly in Michigan
March 15, 2011
I have 5 sky pencil holly bushes that are about 3 feet tall each..they don't grow very fast. I was looking forward to them reaching the 7 feet mark one day, as they are going to serve as a screen be...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

March 15, 2011
I don't know where this plant is from! I hope you can still help! I was given a plant,about 8in tall,stem and limbs are yellow it doesn't grow leaves it just has thorns do you have any idea what it ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Mercer Society of Harris County Plant Sale from The Woodlands, TX
March 15, 2011
Love the Name! Anyway, the Mercer Society of Harris County will be having its annual plant sale late this month and as usual I will be attending. I'm trying to find some tropicals and sub-tropicals...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Container plants for shade in Austin
March 15, 2011
I reside in 78739. Just moving here from So Cal (where all plants are perennials), I'm looking to create a good "Shade loving" Container for near my front door. I'm looking at 'Summer Wave' Wi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Planting orange-flowered asclepias in Austin
March 15, 2011
I have asclepias seeds of the orange flower variety and would like to plant them. What should I do for the best success, and how long does it take for them to come up?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

When to plant wildflower spring mix seeds in Ashburn VA
March 15, 2011
I just bought wildflower springmix and want to know when to plant them, is there a specific temperature?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants for field mice in habitat restoration in Dallas County, Texas
March 14, 2011
For grassland and bottomland habitat restoration projects in North Central Texas (Dallas), what native plants would be beneficial as food sources for field mice. Thanks.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Transplanting Spiderwort in Austin
March 14, 2011
I have a big patch of spiderwort that has popped up in the middle of my front lawn. Will it survive being dug up and moved to the garden?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Hedge plantings for Flower Mound, TX
March 14, 2011
Need to cover ~ 1000 linear feet with a thick hedge plant that will be ~ 8-15 ft tall, 8-12ft wide, fast growing, evergreen, drought resistant. Live in Flower Mound Tx. Researching on Red tip Photinia...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native plants for septic field in Austin
March 14, 2011
Do you have guidance for west Austin residents regarding landscaping a septic field with native plants?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Screening trees for PA
March 13, 2011
We are looking to plant some privacy trees in back of our home. Since our neighbor is directly behind us but we don't want to plant something distasteful to our neighbor. Do you have a recommendation...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Zexmenia in upstate NY
March 13, 2011
Will zexmenia survive in upstate New York (Albany)?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of small purplish/pink flower with ferny leaves
March 13, 2011
There is a totally adorable tiny flower blooming right now in my lease pasture near the Cedar Park Center in Cedar Park, TX. It has a rosette of 2"-3" ferny leaves circling a very tiny (1/4") purp...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Recommendations for plants under sugar maple (Acer saccharum) tree
March 12, 2011
We have an area under sugar maple trees and near white pines. We cannot get any grass to grow. There is little moisture and no sun in the summer. We live 25 miles north of Nashville, TN. Can you r...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native wildflowers attracting bees in Schulenberg TX
March 12, 2011
What native wildflowers are honey bees attracted to?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Fruit fly maggots attacking non-native Grumichama in Lake Worth FL
March 12, 2011
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants How do I prevent fruit fly maggots from attacking my Grumichama fruit?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

What are the grey-green plants on oak trees in San Marcos, TX?
March 12, 2011
The oak trees in the neighborhood in San Marcos, TX, are covered with clumps, or balls, of gray/green fluffy-looking plants. they remind me of bromeliads. You can pull and knock them off; after wind ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Information about Cedar Sage from Austin
March 11, 2011
I am new to the Austin area and was wondering about cedar sage (salvia roemeriana). Is this plant considered aromatic, non-aromatic of chia? And, other than the edible flower are other parts of the ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Roots in mulch around Live Oak in Austin
March 10, 2011
I have a 20 yr old Live Oak that has about 6-8 inches of mulch buildup around the base (I had landscaped around it). I went to break up the mulch to remove it from the base of the tree, but found it ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Source of seeds for non-native euphorbia peplus from Boynton Beach FL
March 10, 2011
Where can I buy Euphorbia peplus? (milkweed) seeds, sap used in treating skin cancer?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Bulk seed purchases for naturalizing area in Rochelle VA
March 10, 2011
I am planning on naturalizing an area, ~ 7 acres, with wildflowers. I am spending quite a bit preparing the acreage and find I am falling short on funds for the bulk purchase of wildflower seeds. Ca...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problem with Arizona Ash in Leander TX
March 10, 2011
What would make my otherwise healthy Arizona Ash tree, that was doing so well last year, only bud out on just one side?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Desert willow for Florida?
March 10, 2011
I, too, am interested in the desert willow tree. I reside in central Florida, 32162. However, Mountain States Nursery does not ship east of Texas. May I have a listing of other nurseries also. T...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Are bluebonnets toxic to horses from Pearland TX
March 10, 2011
Are bluebonnets toxic to horses?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Grubworms in Austin Flower Bed
March 09, 2011
How do I get rid of grubworms in my flower beds?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need advice about an agave that didn't survive the winter in Myrtle Beach, NC.
March 09, 2011
I live in Myrtle Beach, S.C. bought an agave big last summer and it died in the winter. Some green is showing on the bottom should I cut it all down because the whole top is dead. Thank you
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Toxicity of Texas Mountain Laurel seeds to livestock and dogs?
March 09, 2011
Are the seeds of the Texas Mountain Laurel poisonous to livestock or dogs? Thanks
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Alternatives to Lily of the Valley in Arkansas
March 08, 2011
I saw the question from the person who was looking for a native equivalent to Lily of the Valley and immediately thought of Solomon's Seal, which has similar bells on a stalk and grows in similar loc...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

A vine to atract hummingbirds in MO
March 08, 2011
I am looking for a non invasive vine to plant on a trellis near buildings/brick patio to attract hummingbirds (and other birds and butterflies).
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Control of suckers on non-native crepe myrtle from Bay Point, CA
March 08, 2011
I wrote to you a while back and haven't heard back. I wanted to know if Naphthalene Acidic Acid will keep the suckers on my Crepe Myrtle at bay? And if so, where might I find it? Thank you.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Half-life of the insecticide imidacloprid
March 07, 2011
How long do systemic insecticides such as imidacloprid (Merit) remain active in nursery grown plants? Asclepias curassavica (tropical milkweed)is frequently grown with imidacloprid to prevent...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Are baldcypress trees (Taxodium distichum) self-fertile
March 06, 2011
We are considering planting a bald cypress in a grassy children's play area that has fair amount of clay in the soil and receives a good amount of rain water from an adjacent slope. This seems a good...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Control of Fusarium wilt on Wax Myrtle
March 05, 2011
Do you have any new reports on how to control the Fusarium Wilt disease to Wax Myrtle Plants?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants to prevent riverbank erosion in VA
March 05, 2011
Looking for a plant to prevent erosion on a riverbank on the Rappahannock River in Virginia. Prefer something low, bank is a bit steep for regular mowing but could be mowed infrequently. Riverbank h...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Care for Monardella undulata var. frutescens from Pleasanton CA
March 05, 2011
Inquiry about care of the plant Monardella undulata var frutescens "Jokerst." Full Sun? Soil? etc Thanks, Smarty!
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Loss of agaves to freezing weather in Austin
March 04, 2011
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants: I live in Austin and lost all my agaves in the subfreezing weather this winter. Around town, I've noticed some agaves that seemed to tolerate the cold just fine and other tha...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Small Tree or Shrub for Northern Virginia
March 04, 2011
I live in Northern Virginia in the metro D.C. area and we just had a large pine tree topple over in the front of our house. We would like to replace it with a native evergreen that wouldn't grow up a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Freeze damage on Barrel Cactus in Llano TX
March 04, 2011
I believe my barrel cactus has freeze damage. The flesh turned yellow and is now turning dark. The base is still green. If I cut off the damaged top portion, leaving the green base, should it survive?...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Rooting hybrid Savannah Holly from cuttings from Gainesville FL
March 04, 2011
I need instructions on rooting the Savannah Holly from cuttings. I understand that seedlings will not be true to the parent..is this true? Please help. What type of soil mix should I use?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

How to grow bluebonnets in Atlanta TX
March 04, 2011
How can I grow bluebonnets in Atlanta Texas?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of spiny plant in Yucca Mesa, CA
March 02, 2011
I have a very prickly bush on my property near Yucca Mesa, CA, (high desert). 2 to 3 feet high. Branches mostly starting from the center near ground. Lots of 1 to 2 inch spines on branches. Dormant in...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Low groundcover for Possum Kingdom
March 02, 2011
I am seeking a very low ground cover (advised so snakes and rats won't take cover), that is drought resistant and grows on a rocky steep incline to the lake in full afternoon/evening sun at Possum ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Groundcover for beachside planting in Florida
March 02, 2011
What type of ground cover is best for beachside planting. Looking to replace lawn with salt tolerant, weed resistant, drought tolerant, little mowing, insect resistant ground cover. Any flowers are a ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Dead woody plants in wildlife garden in Austin
March 02, 2011
I am an enthusiastic and pretty successful wildlife gardener, have studied my Wasowski "Bible", but I can't get any evergreens established in my yard! We live on blackland clay, which I amend with ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Privacy Trees for New Jersey
March 02, 2011
My neighbor elevated a row of white pine between our houses at least 20 feet high leaving me with NO privacy and a row of ugly lollipops. What trees can I plant that will be fast growing and deer resi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Propagation of evergreen sumac by cuttings from Cedar Creek TX
March 02, 2011
I seek an ”Evergreen Sumac” propagation method by cuttings.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Preplant dip for wildflowers from Gilman IA
March 02, 2011
I am growing wildflowers in a greenhouse for wholesale spring sales. The very tall varieties such as cimicifuga stretch very quickly. Do you know of any chemical treatments as a preplant dip that have...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Vine with edible nut in Chattooga County, Georgia
March 01, 2011
From an email to this Master Gardener- The lady said when she was young her grandmother had a vine that grew along ground that produced small edible nut. As kids they called them chew-chews. Any idea ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need to know if coral honeysuckle is toxic to dogs in North Port, FL.
March 01, 2011
Could you please tell me if coral honeysuckle is toxic to dogs. I would like to plant it in my backyard, but do not plant anything that would be toxic to my dog if she decided to chew on it. Thank y...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Where to purchase a Clematis pitcherii (purple leather flower) in North Texas
March 01, 2011
Do you know where in north Texas I can purchase a Clematis pitcheri, or Purple leather flower? I've looked for several years and have had no luck. Thanks!
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Looking for a plant to use as a windbreak for a small orchard in Pineville LA.
February 28, 2011
We are looking for a good plant to use as a wind break for our small fruit orchard.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need resource to learn about plants to grow in Panama City, FL.
February 28, 2011
Please provide me with a resource to go to and learn what I can plant and will thrive in Panama City Beach area (sand). I enjoy color and flowering plants as well as a variety of greenery. I am movin...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need a fast growing shrub to quickly create a 6' privacy screen in Magnolia, TX.
February 28, 2011
Can you please recommend a fast-growing shrub to quickly create a 6' plus-tall privacy screen in an area with mottled shade along a north/south oriented wrought-iron fence? This is under a canopy of...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Groundcover for Southern California near the beach
February 27, 2011
I'm in Southern California near the beach (3 miles away). I am looking for a front lawn ground cover that can stand many hours of daily direct sunlight, but will also get cool breezes off the ocean a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Wildflowers for sunny garden in Bedford TX
February 27, 2011
I live in North Central Texas around Bedford. I have clay soil which I have been building with soil to enrich the soil foundation. I need a wildflower garden that receives at least 6 hours of su...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native Shade Tree for Central Texas
February 26, 2011
My parents are buried in Round Mountain Cemetery close to Marble Falls, TX. Can you recommend a tree or shrub we can plant to shade their graves? We need something that can survive and grow in the h...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant similar to painted buckeye in Stewart Co., GA
February 26, 2011
My neighbor said that she saw a plant in Providence Canyon in Stewart Co, GA that was similar to the painted buckeye, but bloomed later in the summer. Do you know of this plant?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Propagation of native plants by seed in Round Rock TX
February 26, 2011
I'm trying to include more native and adapted low water use plants in the landscaping of my yard in Round Rock Texas. Due to a limited budget I've been collecting seeds from plants around the area ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Wildflowers for a shady spot in IL
February 26, 2011
I have a low-sun spot on the side of my house in Chicago, IL. I would really like to turn this spot into a wildflower garden. Could you suggest some native IL flowers that might work in this spot? ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Adventitious sprouts from Live Oak in Dallas
February 26, 2011
How do I kill Holly growing in my yard? I have a Live Oak tree growing in my Bermuda grass lawn. The holly grows under the tree from the trunk extending out about 12-15 ft. It grows right in with the ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Artist's project on protecting pollinators in Austin
February 26, 2011
I am designing a citywide artist's project to protect and preserve local, natural pollinators (with an emphasis on honeybees). What nectar-rich plants would you recommend for this type of project? ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Using Bumelia for Firewood
February 25, 2011
I have 2 trees in my yard that I think are Gum Bullies. They're tall (25 feet) and straight, thorny, leaves look like live oak, but they're deciduous. I need to remove them and wondered if I could...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native Equivalents to Lily of the Valley
February 24, 2011
Lily of the Valley (Convallaria majuscula) with its delicate drooping flowers is my favorite flower. Unfortunately, it's hard to get in central Texas as a cut flower, much less to grow. Are...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Dogs developing allergic skin problems in Waco TX
February 24, 2011
We have 2 West Highland White terriers..since we moved 2 yrs. ago, they have developed TERRIBLE skin problems at our new home, about 5 miles from our old home, in Waco. What contact plants, shrub...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Poisonous plants of Texas Bays and Estuaries
February 24, 2011
What is a poisonous native plants of the Bay and Estuary system in Southeast Texas?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need evergreen, drought tolerant shrubs to plant next to driveway along property line in Austin, TX.
February 23, 2011
Just moved to Austin, TX. What evergreen, drought tolerant shrubs could I plant by driveway, full sun, next to neighbors lawn. I don't want to mow, space is 3.5 ft. wide by 15ft. long. I thought ab...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with Live Oak tree in Jacksonville FL
February 21, 2011
My live oak tree was planted 13 years ago as a mature young tree. Until last fall, it was full and healthy. Then leaves started turning brown and dropping. The company who cares for our lawn/shrubs ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Screen for utility box in Seabrook TX
February 21, 2011
Utility box cover: Thinking of using star jasmine on a three sided fence/trellis. Each side 3 ft sq. I can send a picture. Not sure best fence style to use or way to plant. Suggestions? Need cove...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Landscape services in Austin
February 21, 2011
I just bought a property in Austin with a terrific outdoor space. However, I came to find that the previous owner added jasmine and many other invasive species. I'd like to rid the entire space of th...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Flowering Dogwood for NY
February 21, 2011
Hello - can you advise me on a disease-resistant/hardy dogwood? Every nursery I've visited has discouraged me from planting dogwoods. What would you recommend? I live in Westchester County, NY
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Fast-growing, evergreen, non-invasive root tree for El Dorado CA
February 20, 2011
We need to plant a FAST-growing, non-deciduous TREE with a non-invasive root system. Where can we buy one?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Will non-native poisonous oleander grow through non-native invasive bermudagrass in Ft. Worth?
February 20, 2011
I was wondering if you knew which flowering plants would grow through grass. I have bermuda, have tried raised beds but due to uneven yard with lots of rock it would be too expensive to do properly. ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Trimming back wildflower beds in Cody Wyoming
February 20, 2011
I live in Cody Wyoming and I have some wildflower beds in front of my house that didn't get trimmed back this summer...they look like swamp plants now, super nasty. Should I trim them now?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Ground cover for a sunny hillside in TX
February 20, 2011
For many years I have had two beds of English Ivy under medium size pine trees. Home is on a hillside, moderately rocky. Last Spring my yardman persuaded me to severely trim lower limbs of the pines t...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Wet & Shade in South Austin
February 19, 2011
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants - I live in south Austin (S. of Ben White) in a new development. Our houses are fairly close together, so there's little sun between them. The issue is that when it does rain, ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Pruning of overgrown non-native boxwood from Round Rock TX
February 19, 2011
We have several large over-grown Japanese Boxwoods that we'd really like to trim down in height about 10 to 12 inches, however most of the middle and lower sections of the bushes are bare or very spa...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants for bees in GA
February 18, 2011
Hi, I'm in Georgia and I am starting beekeeping this spring and I am also hoping to plant a mostly evergreen hedge around my yard to add privacy from neighbors. There are already some well establis...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants for a bioswale in TX
February 18, 2011
Dear Mr.Smarty Plants, What kind of plants are best suited for a bioswale in Edinburg, Texas?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Planting ornamental cherries in GA
February 18, 2011
What is the correct way to plant ornamental cherry trees in N. Georgia Mountain clay soil? Which is the hardiest variety?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Should I Prune Oak Trees in February in Wisconsin?
February 17, 2011
I need to cut some oak branches but am worried about oak wilt. You told an earlier questioner not to cut in February. I live in Wisconsin and it has been very cold lately. Am I okay to cut the bran...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Looking for a seedless variety of Desert Willow in San Antonio.
February 17, 2011
Is there a seedless (podless)variety of the Desert Willow tree that also has the dark burgundy color? If so, do you know who sells it in the central Texas area?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Will recent freezes delay wildflowers from Dripping Springs TX
February 15, 2011
What effect will the recent freezing temperatures have on the Texas Hill Country Wildflowers? Will it delay blooming? Thank you!
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Are Eastern White Pine suitable for Waxhaw NC
February 13, 2011
Pinus strobus ( White Pine )- I wish to plant four of these evergreens along our property lines as a screen. Our county is selling one foot plants in a container. Our soil is clay. Are these t...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of tree or shrub from Simms TX
February 13, 2011
Thought you might have the expertise to help identify this tree/shrub? They were planted about 10 years ago and started in a pot about 2 feet high. I have photos but not sure how to send them to you; ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Removing juniper roots from San Francisco
February 13, 2011
Topic-Juniper Tree Root Removal (agh!) Needs-3 removed yet roots remain, some growing UNDER the cement, driveway and house!!! (under growth = ~3" as far as I can determine, thus far). Question-Do I ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Wildflower trails in the Hill Country in Texas from Austin
February 13, 2011
Where can I find information about wildflower trails in the Hill Country (from Llano southward to Uvalde area)? I am planning a driving trip the week of April 18th.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

White powder on non-native houseplants from Fort Davis TX
February 11, 2011
I have a white powder on my houseplants that I can't figure out what it is or what to do about it? (Dracaena & Corn plants) Could be a fungus can you help? (can send a photo if you will tell me how t...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with Escarpment black cherry from Ponder TX
February 11, 2011
I have an escarpment black cherry that is about three years old and about 9 feet tall. It was healthy until this last summer when its began to bark peel and sap run out at the base of the tree. The af...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Propagation of Aesculus parvifolia from Rochester MI
February 11, 2011
Aesculus parvifolia. I purchased one plant in spring 2010---it's about 3 ft tall. How might I propagate from this one plant, or should I buy another?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Use of native non-vascular plants from Pisgah Forest NC
February 11, 2011
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, Some of the smartest native plants around to use as horticultural choices don't require any chemical fertilizers, pesticides or herbicides; tolerate extreme weather including ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of low growing plants with flowers that resemble a bunch of grapes in Graford, TX
February 10, 2011
I am in northwest TX and I would like to know the name of the early blooming, very low growing plant that has a single bloom on a bare stem--it is dark crimson and the blooms looks like a bunch of gra...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Possible transplant shock in recently planted Anacua in San Antonio, TX.
February 10, 2011
I planted an Anacua tree from a nursery this past November. The tree I purchased was about 6ft tall and was a leftover from the spring. The roots were pretty wound up inside. After shaking the roots l...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants to tumble over a retaining wall in OR
February 10, 2011
Please recommend plants that I could use to plant on the ground space above a 4 foot high, 150 foot long unattractive concrete wall that would grow over and down to cover the wall. The area is very sh...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Growing Variegated Century Plants in Portugal
February 09, 2011
Hello Mr. Smarty Plants, I am contacting you from Portugal, because of century plant(Agave americana). I had one of that plants and I collected the seeds, which I planted, but I am quite disappointed ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Shade-loving Grass for the Houston area
February 09, 2011
I have an ash tree that completely shades the majority of our front yard and is not allowing the St. Augustine grass to grow. Is there a shade-loving grass good for the Houston area?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion