En EspaÑol
Mr. Smarty Plants - Question Topics

Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... 93 next >> 
9,264 Results:   10  25  50 100 per page

topicquestion
Identification of a plant with bumpy red fruit
April 26, 2011
I have a bush with red berry like pods on it. They are about 3/4 of an inch bumpy round with a big seed inside. The leaves are smooth and oval shape. Please let me know if it is poisonous or not, and...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Shade tree with non-aggressive roots for next to pool in The Woodlands TX
April 26, 2011
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants. We live in Spring, TX and are looking for a full-sun shade tree to plant in a large planter (about 6'x6') next to our pool. We want the tree to provide shade for our full a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native lawn grass for El Paso
April 24, 2011
I am new to the El Paso area and my front and back yards are currently mostly dirt with a tiny bit of dying (thank goodness) bermuda grass. I want to seed both yards with something that will grow well...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Drought and Fire Resistant Plants for Round Top, Texas
April 24, 2011
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants Do you have any advice on plants which are drought tolerant and fire resistant for a central Texas location near Round Top Texas? Thanks
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Care of recently propagated Century Plant from Litchfield Park AZ
April 24, 2011
To germinate some century plant seeds I put them in dirt and put the pot in a tray of water. Now, I have 3 sprouts about an inch tall and they came up about an inch apart. Question is, how should I w...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of trees in Georgetown and Austin area from Chilton TX
April 24, 2011
I recently visited Georgetown,Texas and the Austin, Texas area. There were many multi-trunk trees in yards and in landscaping at the hotel we stayed at. What kind of trees are these multi-trunk tr...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Companion planting with heartleaf skullcap from Arlington TX
April 24, 2011
What can I plant with heart-leaf skullcap when it goes dormant in the summer?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with Live Oak in Boerne TX
April 24, 2011
I had my large Live Oak trimmed last year. This spring there seems to be a problem with leaf growth. Most leaves are small in nature and appear to have been attacked possibly by bugs. Many of the bran...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

HOA chopping down wax myrtles from Katy TX
April 24, 2011
My local HOA just chopped down 80+ wax myrtles saying that they lived out their life span..they are roughly 18-20 years old..is there a species of wax myrtles that lives only 20 years..or did they co...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with non-native Bradford pear in Katy TX
April 24, 2011
Hi. I have a Bradford Pear that I wrapped during the freeze at the base of the trunk during last years freeze. It is about 4.5 yrs old. The base has cracked and the top is dry and lifeless; however, a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Year-round ground cover for sun/shade
April 24, 2011
Looking for a native ground cover for shade and middle afternoon/evening sun. Would like it to cover all year. I planted aguga and it froze. I have two large beds (I used about 70 4in plants for ea...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Shade tree with no roots to interfere with patio in Lake City FL
April 24, 2011
I have a 4x4 area surrounded by cement patio but would like a tree for shade that does not have roots that will mess up the slab.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Will Fragrant Ash grow in Bowie County TX?
April 24, 2011
I live in south Bexar County in very fine deep sand. Will the Fraxinus cuspidata grow in my soil and temperature?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of shrub from Kuala Lumpur
April 24, 2011
I am seeing too much of shrubs used for landscaping that looks like dill, its stems are pretty woody and its leaves looks and smells like dill, are they the same? Can I consume this shrub that looks l...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Weeping live oak and beetles in Elgin TX
April 24, 2011
I have a live oak that I just noticed is weeping from a small spot about 3' above ground, foamy and smells like beer, several beetle species attracted. Also some very small insects in the foamy area.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Evergreen, deer resistant native plants for Austin
April 24, 2011
Are there any evergreen, deer resistant native plants that thrive in Austin?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of plant from childhood
April 23, 2011
I am trying to locate and identify a plant from my childhood (I'm 65). It was either a small tree or possibly a tree formed hedge like plant. It had small roundish leaves scattered on tiny limbs simi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Removal of Invasive Mint
April 23, 2011
The herb Mint is taking over my flower garden. How can I kill this out? Thank you,
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants for under pine trees in Colorado Springs CO
April 23, 2011
What can I plant under pine trees in Colorado that will grow every year? Would like ground cover; tried bishop weed.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Can Dicentra exemia survive in Texas from Houston
April 23, 2011
Is the Houston/Austin area too hot to grow "Bleeding Hearts" dicentra eximia (King of Hearts) They seem to grow in the wild in Maryland, Virginia, and Tennessee.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Accompanying plant for non-native dianthus in Arden NC
April 23, 2011
Hi,I have dianthus and need a small plant-full sun to go with it down both sides of our driveway-thanks
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Smell barrier around chicken pen in Austin
April 23, 2011
What are some shade to part-shade loving, aromatic plants (akin to Lavender or Jasmine) that will do well in Central TX? I'm trying to plant things around my chicken pen that'll create a smell barri...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

What happens when plant shoot apex is removed from Nashville TN
April 23, 2011
What happens to the plant when a shoot apex is removed?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Small trees for NJ shore
April 22, 2011
Hello! What's a good native shrub or small tree to feature in my front yard in Brigantine, NJ, on the Jersey shore. Sunny site, dry, sandy soil. The yard is very small. I'm trying to design a l...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

A bounty of options for planting natives in Hockley Texas
April 21, 2011
I have about 1 acre of land in Hockley Texas, outside Houston, that we had cleared of shrubs and poison ivy. We kept the trees so there are some areas with mostly shade and some areas with partial su...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Late blooming Esperanza in St. Augustine FL
April 21, 2011
I bought an Esperanza at a plant expo- I was told it was a Florida native Allamanda. It took me two years to figure out what I had. Mine grows 8 ft. tall and is huge! But it doesn't bloom until alm...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants for erosion control in IL
April 21, 2011
Steep 40ft slope in rural Illinois with Sandy soil. Recently several trees slid down this slope due to wet conditions. We need any inexpensive plants to hold the hillside in check before erosion creep...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Location of Indian Paintbrush in Lewisville, TX area
April 21, 2011
Know the location of any spots where Indian Paintbrushes grow in North Texas? I'm in Lewisville, about 10 miles north of Dallas.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Partial shade plants for underneath ash tree in Tarrant County, Texas
April 20, 2011
I have a BIG Ash Tree in my front yard that blocks out most afternoon sun. I generally get morning and evening sun. I am looking for something to plant around the base of the tree so my yard doesn'...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of plants from India
April 20, 2011
Where can I find identification of a plant that is from India. It climbs up trees and has beautiful small orchid type flowers.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need an attractive plant to help stabilize a wet area in East Stroudsburg PA.
April 20, 2011
We have a small run off from one pond to another. At the bottom of the slope, the area is always wet--and not from the run off. Is there a low growing plant that would provide a root system to help st...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Ground cover for a sunny location
April 20, 2011
Looking for Native ground cover for sunny slope in LaRue TX… I would like something that will cover year-round and flower in Spring/Summer/Fall. If it has a berry in the fall for birds and attracts bu...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of purple flower near Ft. Worth
April 20, 2011
I'm doing a Flower Project for my Biology class. My partner and I have found a flower that we cannot identify and neither can our teacher. I found it on Interstate 35 going through Ft. Worth, Texas. ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

How do I save my recently transplanted yaupon holly?
April 20, 2011
Recently transplanted (two weeks ago) a yaupon holly tree from one part of the yard to another. Leaves are beginning to turn yellow and fall. What can be done to save this plant?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need information about broadcasting wildflower seeds in a pasture 70 miles east of Dallas, TX.
April 20, 2011
We recently moved to upper east TX - 70 miles East of Dallas. I would like to broadcast wildflowers in our pasture. I'm assuming I'll need to wait until next fall, but not sure about that. Can you t...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need help with a Coreopsis eating beetle in Shiro, TX
April 20, 2011
Mr.Smarty Plants,(Sorry, I kept messing up with my emails) Anyway, here goes: I usually have a beautiful meadow full of lanceleaf coreopsis blooming by now. Not this year. I found to my horror every s...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need suggestions for replacing invasive privet in the Dallas area.
April 20, 2011
We are removing invasive privet at a project. We will need to substitute native plants and would like to know how to find out which plants should be used. We are in the Dallas area. Thank you.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

One wax myrtle declining in Austin
April 20, 2011
I have 3 wax myrtles in a row; two are doing fine and one is looking "sad". It is thinning and when I checked a few branches they were dead, I pruned it and it was dead. I have had the trees for 7 y...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Summer flowering small trees for NY
April 20, 2011
Request recommendations about trees for terrace. Would like flowers or color in summer; not spring. (Some of my trees are twenty five feet high.) Full sun, some wind, large containers. Please recomme...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Can non-native red-tip photinia be burned in fireplace from Lilburn GA?
April 20, 2011
Can I burn red tip photinia in my fireplace?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Aluminum foil disorienting insects under plants from Brierfield AL
April 20, 2011
Does covering the ground under plants frequently attacked by flea beetles with aluminum foil really disorient the insects? But does it also disorient beneficial insects?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with dogwood borers in TN
April 20, 2011
What is the best way to treat native dogwoods infested with Dogwood borer insects? I have cut and removed the dead ones and the ones with large patches of bark missing but would like to save the remai...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants for a windbreak on a slope in OH
April 20, 2011
Have property at the top of a valley with a steep drop off. Would like to know native to NE Ohio ground covers, grasses perennials, and not too tall trees for windbreak that will prevent erosion. The ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Gardening advice for Ontario, Canada
April 20, 2011
HI there. I see most of the readers are in CA, I am in Ontario Canada. I am in need of some advice on a nice flowering all year round garden for both sun/partial sun/shade garden. Some for direct sun ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Planting a redbud in VA
April 20, 2011
What is the best time of year to plant Redbud (Cercis canadensis)in Burke, VA, 22152 - fall or spring or does it matter? And is there a certain size tree that is best to purchase for greatest chance o...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Where to buy a non-native globe willow from Beatrice NE
April 20, 2011
Where can one buy a globe willow tree?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

How to tell the difference between native and European thistles
April 19, 2011
How can I tell the difference between invasive (European) thistles and thistles that are native to Texas? And what is the best way to eradicate the invasive varieties?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Can non-native guavas be successfully moved from Gulfport MS?
April 19, 2011
Can guavas be moved successfully from one established planted location to another? My mother is having to relocate due to MDOT and we would like to move her established guavas. Thank you,
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants for a sandy slope in NY
April 18, 2011
I can really use your help. I have a steep very, very sandy slope I need to plant to stop the erosion. It gets sun from 9:00 to 2:00. I plan on adding an irrigation system in the area. Planting is goi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Trees and shrubs for South Austin
April 18, 2011
I live in South Austin about 5 miles east of LBJ Wildflower Center. Soil: about 2" apparently amended, about 2 inches black soil, then hard caliche. What trees or large shrubs would be able to sur...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Preventing erosion on a sloping lot
April 16, 2011
I am trying to find a native plant to use on a sloped area in my back yard to help prevent the slope from eroding away (zone 7- N. Atlanta, GA). I want something evergreen, between 6 to 30 inches tal...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

A privacy hedge for NJ
April 16, 2011
My backyard faces a highway in New Jersey. 18 years ago White Pines were planted for privacy, but they have since grown and now there is no privacy at all as the tree trucks are rather bare. Is ther...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Ornamental shade grasses for Dover AR
April 16, 2011
Ornamental shade grasses for sandy soil or silt, part shade, or even vines.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants to slow water runoff in Austin
April 16, 2011
What native plants (rocky northwest Austin) will block water runoff? It seems as if something deep-rooted and densely growing would help. Grass comes to mind, but the area gets at best 2 or 3 hours of...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Wildflowers for a slope in PA
April 16, 2011
I've got a steep southeast-facing slope near the house that is mostly overrun with day lilies. It gets plenty of morning sun. I've had some luck with goldenrod and New England aster along the steps ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Drought resistant ground cover for Rancho Cucamonga CA
April 16, 2011
I live in Southern California. Could you please recommend a low maintenance, drought resistant ground cover that does not attract rodents to create as their home (more than one suggestion would be GR...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Esperanza freezing back in Highlands, TX
April 16, 2011
I have an 3 yr. old Esperanza that froze the last two yrs. but grew back each spring. This spring after getting about 2 ft. the leaves at the bottom began turning brown at the edges and now seems to...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Eliminating non-native grasses growiing in non-native alfalfa in Clint, TX
April 16, 2011
I have six acres of alfalfa in Clint, Tx which was planted three years ago. After taking it to Jaime Iglesias PhD, CEA-Agriculture Texas Agrilife Extension El Paso County; he responded: Mr. Zuniga: ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Moving Iris bulbs
April 15, 2011
I will be moving and want to take my Iris bulbs with me. Can I dig them up now that they are in flower?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Gardening advice for Quebec
April 15, 2011
I live in Aylmer Quebec 1. I bought some lily bulbs at a Christmas bazaar. When can I plant them and what do I put in the hole with the bulbs? 2. I bought a little potted cedar at COSTCO for a Ch...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

red maple bark damage by squirrels
April 15, 2011
We have two acres of land, largely covered by various oaks and cherry laurels -and, after many hours of cutting down chinese tallow trees..finally some red maples. Our problem is that we also have a s...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Solution for erosion on steep slope in California
April 14, 2011
Dear Mr.Smarty Plants, I have a serious hillside problem in Santa Cruz County resulting from the recent deluge of rain. Steep to sheer now with no plants left on it after the hill slide washed to th...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Insects along branches of cedar elm
April 14, 2011
I have a 10 foot Cedar Elm planted three years ago. The smaller branches have what looks like incubating red pellet-like insects in a soft, putty colored glob--one insect per glob. They are all alon...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need suggestions for plants to form a privacy hedge in Austin, TX.
April 14, 2011
I live on a corner lot with the backyard facing a busy street. My lot is 4 feet lower than street level. I am looking for a privacy screen to plant along this North facing side. I have a canopy of ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need suggestions for plants to form a privacy hedge in Granbury, TX.
April 14, 2011
We live on a rocky hill in Hood County, Tx. and need suggestions for evergreen anything that will provide privacy. Red Cedars were added in October 2010 and it looks as if half of those are dying. He...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Care of lemon cypress from Winter Springs FL
April 14, 2011
Please send me information on care of lemon cypress plant. I have one in small container on my patio. Should I take it in the house? Send any helpful information on its care. Thank you.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Possibility of contaminants leaching from asphalt driveway to adjacent vegetable garden in Tucson
April 13, 2011
We have planted a vegetable garden next to a driveway. The driveway has recently (within the last 2 years) been covered with asphalt. My concern is that the oil may leach into my vegetables. Is thi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Trees and shrubs for Rockwall, TX
April 13, 2011
Hi! I've been advised to contact you regarding my dilemma. Please rsvp asap. I'm ready to plant. 1)I have a small backyard with full, hot, Dallas sun and cold winters, many times below freezing. ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Best time for wildflower planting in the Ozarks
April 13, 2011
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in the Ozarks, and have an open bottomland valley area I want to transform into more natives for many reasons. I am starting a 2 acre field of NATIVE grasses (warm sea...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Wildflowers blooming in upstate South Carolina from Seneca SC
April 13, 2011
When do most wildflowers bloom in upstate South Carolina?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native plants for restoring a North Carolina pond site
April 12, 2011
I reconstructed the dam to a 50 year old cattle pond at our high-end residential development in Charlotte, NC. There are many large mature trees around the pond but also some good sun exposure at two ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Starting a sweet potato in water in Duluth MN
April 11, 2011
I am trying to start a sweet potato plant in water. I noticed 3 days after it's in water, there is white finger like(hairy) areas at the tip of the bottom of the potato and also on the sides. I have...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Can a bur oak fit in a small space in Austin?
April 11, 2011
We recently got a one-gallon pot of Bur Oak. The area around our house has two old live oaks on the NW corner and another large live oak on the SE. There isn't much room on the SW corner for the oak ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Eliminating invasive, non-native chameleon plant from Omaha NE
April 11, 2011
I have been attempting to eradicate the chameleon plant in my gardens for 3 years. I have sprayed Round Up and covered with newspaper then mulch and it is coming back again this year! I am wondering...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

What will grow in red clay in Conroe TX?
April 10, 2011
We just built a new home and the foundation was poured on red clay which is what my flowerbed area is in. Could you please tell me what can be planted that will grow. I am looking for ground cover, fl...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Bluebonnets and paintbrush for Fredericksburg VA
April 10, 2011
Can I broadcast Texas bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrush seeds, in Virginia, during early Spring and get germination; or, do I need to winterize and plant next spring.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is the Texas buckeye as poisonous as the Ohio buckeye from Carrollton TX
April 10, 2011
Is the Texas buckeye as poisonous as Ohio Buckeye?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Annabelle hydrangeas blossoms drooping to ground in Wilmette, IL
April 10, 2011
I have a row of Annabelle Hydrangeas that become very heavy and droop over the entire width of the bed. I would like to know what I can use for support so that they will stand up and allow me to plan...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Finding a native plant garden designer from Austin
April 10, 2011
I was at the center today and told to contact you on the website for suggestions on who to call to hire a garden designer to come to my house,lay out a garden and select plants, etc.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with native palms in Austin
April 10, 2011
We had a large variety of California fan palms and blue sabal palms in our yard that were damaged during the last freeze. We found that several of them now have "spear pull," which means we could p...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is a Mexican plum planted last Spring in Houston ready to bloom
April 08, 2011
I live in Houston, TX. I bought my Mexican Plum last late Spring. It was about 4' tall. It is now about 6' tall, very healthy with lots of beautiful leaves. It gets a lot of sun. It did not blo...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Non-toxic Groundcover for North-Central Texas
April 07, 2011
I need a creeping ground cover for shade that is non-toxic to dogs. I had planned on Swedish ivy until I read it was toxic. Is Asian jasmine toxic? Or, do you have any suggestions?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Knife Acacia or Shrubs for Austin
April 07, 2011
Hello, Do you know if knife acacia is a suitable plant for North Austin? Does it have sharp leaves or thorns? How large and full does it get? We are looking to replace our existing pampas grass...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Container vegetable gardening in Austin
April 07, 2011
Is vegetable container gardening an option with Austin's hot summers? I live in an apartment and I really want to plant an organic vegetable and herb container garden. I'm having a hard time findin...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Knots on redbuds in Stillwell, OK
April 07, 2011
My redbud has knots all over the limbs. Its been this way for a few years now. I can not find a way to take care of this problem. I don't even know what is causing this. Can you help me?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

April 07, 2011
Comal County, Texas. Trying to identify a plant found growing in Comal Co. It was growing along the ground, with long, spiky leaves, and a ball of green flowers with a dark purple/brown 5 pointed sta...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Removing Purple Top Tridens out of Mt Pleasant Texas
April 07, 2011
We would like to know how to kill these Purple Top Triden out of our garden. Thanks, Judy
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Non-native, invasive Tree of Heaven in Central Texas?
April 07, 2011
Has Ailanthus altissima been reported in Central Texas? I think we have found a few growing right here in Austin amongst a stand of cedars at a residential property off of 1826 (near where 1826 hits ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native trees for Medford MA
April 07, 2011
Two quick questions. 1) what trees would grow happily along the banks of the Mystic River in Medford, MA? 2) Would it be o.k. to plant weeping willows? Are they indigenous to the area? I'm not a pur...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Planting a non-native rose on oak tree in Hutto TX
April 07, 2011
I would like to consider planting an earth-kind climbing rose on the south side of my 12 ft oak tree. Is this a good idea? Will I create problems?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants That Thrive Under Trees in Texas
April 06, 2011
I have a flower bed with dense shade (under a mature maple tree and a large mature bottle brush) located on the Galveston/Harris county line just off of Clear Lake. The bed has sprinklers and drains w...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

April 06, 2011
I'm trying to figure out the name of a plant/shrub purchased a couple years ago. It was a shrub (about medium sized) with yellow blooms that smelled like lemon. I don't think it was lemon balm or le...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with non-native peach trees from Lago Vista TX
April 06, 2011
I have two peach trees that are setting fruit. Last year the small fruit had sap coming out of most of them. When they ripened there was a rotten spot in each of them. I had to throw most of them aw...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Sprouts from Live Oak in Austin
April 06, 2011
I have an Escarpment Live Oak..quercus fusiformis.? I get tired of all the sprouts that come up around this tree..My yard person wants to pull them up or get a roto tiller after them..? I had been t...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native alternatives for invasive species
April 05, 2011
I'm a native plant landscape designer in central Texas, and know our plants well. Still looking for any help I can get on replacements for Asian jasmine, English ivy, Nandina, and Red tipped photin...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need suggestions for plants to form a privacy hedge in Charleston, WV.
April 05, 2011
Mr. Smarty Pants, I live in zone 6 and an looking for an evergreen privacy type hedge that grows no taller than 10'-12'. I am not interested in any boxwood type of hedge. The evergreens would be ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Looking for fruit and nut trees to plant in San Augustine, TX
April 05, 2011
I am setting up residence in San Augustine, Texas on approximately 9 acres of land. We wanted to plant a few of each type of fruit and nut trees that would prosper in the area (for wildlife and for o...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Bird-friendly plants for South Texas
April 05, 2011
Which are the best plants that provide food (perennials, shrubs, trees, and vines) to attract birds to my backyard garden? (I have water and cover and would like to make sure I have the 10 best plants...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native sun plants for Bastrop TX
April 05, 2011
We live in the Bastrop area and have a 21 ft. by 15 ft. sunny area. We also need help with a list of native plants and want to start planting from tallest to short. Can you please advise?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Trimming spineless yucca in Chicago
April 05, 2011
I have a spineless yucca (indoors) which is 11 feet tall and thirty-five years old. When the yucca recently started to scrape the ceiling, I moved it away (roughly 20 feet) from the windows to an area...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion