Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 948 next >> 
9,472 Results:   10 25  50  100 per page

topicquestion
Sap oozing from trunks of Cherry Laurels in Austin, TX
January 24, 2015
I have several mature compact cherry laurels whose leaves are beginning to turn yellow. They are in raised beds, have been properly fertilized, have compost spread around them, and are properly water...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Germinating Milkweed Seeds
January 23, 2015
When is the best time to plant milkweed seeds outside? I was told when the overnight temperature hits 70 F. (our garden is in Lakeway, Texas). So around late May? Is this when the seeds germinate i...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

USDA Hardiness Zones
January 22, 2015
Some natives are listed as ZONE 3 - 7. Would they be ok in zone 9. I thought the zones related to cold hardiness. What does the higher number mean, exactly?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants for a sunny, sandy site in Central Texas
January 22, 2015
I live between La Grange and Schulenburg, Texas. My soil is sandy. Full sun, no trees. I am a senior citizen with limited funds who is allergic to Rye and Bermuda grass. I tried planting a lawn of...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Annual Native Plants for Interplanting in Iowa
January 20, 2015
I'm looking for suggestions for annuals that will flower from seed or from spring plants. I want to use them to fill in the space around newly planted coneflowers and asters that I fear will look spa...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Carolina Jessamine Toxic to Honey Bees?
January 20, 2015
Is Carolina jessamine toxic to honey bees? I have read conflicting answers.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Using Dormant Oils in the Winter
January 20, 2015
What are your thoughts on the use of dormant oils as part of a winter maintenance program? I live in Austin, Texas.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Redwood as a Screening Tree for Santa Cruz Garden?
January 20, 2015
I have a small yard in Santa Cruz, CA and we have to hide/distract from a power line. My husband is demanding a redwood. Is this sane? The space it will have to grow in is about 20x20. What species of...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native Grass Lawn For Georgia
January 20, 2015
Grass in Atlanta when I was little (I am 50 years old and have lived in Atlanta most of my life) was of a fescue variety. Bermuda grasses were considered "rich person's grass" when I was young. M...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Thorny vines for a shady Louisiana fence
January 17, 2015
Do you know of a fast growing, non-invasive, thorny vine that I can grow along a shady fence row in Baton Rouge, Louisiana?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion

<< previous 1 2 3 4 ... 948 next >>