Smarty Plants Question Topics

<< previous 1 2 3 4 5 next >> 
470 Results:   10  25  50 100 per page

topicquestion
Identification of vine with feathery leaves and deep pink flowers
July 28, 2014
I have growing up my porch what appears to be a vine with feathery leaves and small deep pink flowers. There is no water sources near by. Can you tell me what it is?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Starting Yarrow (Achillea) and Daucus from Seed
July 16, 2014
I need to deadhead my cottage yarrow. I assume it has gone to seed. What do I do to plant it as seed? If I can do it, can I do it now or do I need to wait until spring. If I need to wait until spring,...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Northern Catalpa Tree Doing Poorly
July 02, 2014
One of our Northern Catalpa trees appears to be dying. It is about 28 feet tall and this year only about 1/3 of it is producing leaves. It is next to our largest Catalpa tree (about 65 feet tall and a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Differences between Desmodium and Lespedezda
June 19, 2014
i am trying to determine the difference between lespedeza and desmodium in my full sun wildflower and tall grasses meadow. There appear to be a number of different types of these plants, and they are...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Live oaks exhibiting white foam spots from Round Rock, TX
June 08, 2014
We have several native very large Live Oak in our backyard, and this summer we have noticed white foam spots on the branches. We live in Round Rock next to the Williamson County Park. The spots look...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Purchase of Galphimia angustifolia from Austin
June 08, 2014
I have a Thryallis, Galphimia augustifolia, or Thryallis autustifolia, growing from a limestone ledge in my yard in west Austin TX. I have tried unsuccessfully to buy this native. Do you sell it at t...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Unidentified stalk, possibly manfreda, from San Marcos TX
May 23, 2014
I had a very weird stalk pop up in my yard in San Marcos TX this month (May 2014) It bloomed very quickly and appears to be a manfreda but there is no rosette, or leaves of any kind - just the thick o...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

List of plants that tolerate
May 11, 2014
Could I get a list of "grey water" tolerant shrubs/evergreens/etc? *Full sun
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Caterpillars feeding on Phacelia congesta
May 11, 2014
Can you tell me which caterpillars can be found on Phacelia congesta in Bell County?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Propagation of Simsia calva from Albuquerque NM
January 27, 2014
Hi - I was given some simsia calva seed from the LBJ wildflower center. It doesn't have a lot of info about starting the seeds, so any help is much appreciated! I tried starting some outdoors last ye...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with non-native citrus trees from Mesa AZ
January 13, 2014
We have one valencia orange tree and one naval orange tree in our Mesa, AZ yard. Just noticed some oranges on both trees have a 1/4 inch diameter hole through the skin and the orange fruit and skin a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Fruit trees for Kempner, Texas
November 29, 2013
I just moved to Kempner , TX and would like to plant a couple of fruit trees in my 1 1/4 ac yard. I would like to plant a species that will do well and produce edible fruit. Any assistance will be app...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is post oak resistant to oak wilt from Dallas TX
November 22, 2013
I am confused. The NPIN website says that Post Oak IS susceptible to oak wilt, but all the other information I have been able to find says that it is resistant to oak wilt and rarely gets the diesase....
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant identification in Mojave Desert
November 20, 2013
I need help in identifying a shrub like plant that I found in SW Utah near Beaver Dam, UT (Which is near the Arizona/Nevada border). It is approximately 12 inches in height with profuse stems origina...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Ruffly foliage on native lantana
November 05, 2013
A native lantana in my front yard has developed ruffly foliage on one stem. It looks like miniature broccoli. What can this be?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Non-native jade plants and spider plants beneath Mayberry tree in Bay Point CA
October 15, 2013
I have a fruitless Mayberry in my back yard that's about 50/50' can I plant jade and spider plants under it? The tree is very healthy.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Pink wildflowers on DFW runways in April-June
October 10, 2013
I fly thru DFW quite often and have noticed in April-June timeframe the runways are dotted with a light pink colored wildflower. Have asked the DFW Customer Service folks for the name, ones I've ask...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant identification of thorny shrub in Tennessee
October 03, 2013
I have a mid to dark green thorny type bush growing on my land in Cosby, Tennessee. I am originaly from NJ and I have never seen it before. The stalk is varigated and the thorns are plentiful and very...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Starting shade-tolerant ground covers in New York
September 10, 2013
Hi, I have seen some of the posts for shade-tolerant ground cover on the east end of Long Island and my question is process related. Now that I've identified the grasses/plants I need to keep my fro...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Trees for clay soil from Charlotte TX
August 25, 2013
We have an area in our yard that even Esperanzas won't grow. It is near another that does great. Six Esperanzas are planted in a north/south row about with 10' between plants, the southern most plan...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identity of purple-leafed plant in formal garden in Quebec City
August 23, 2013
I saw a plant in a formal garden in Quebec City that was low growing with purple leaves and clusters of deep purple pods/seeds about the size of grapes.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Shriveling agave from Miami Florida
August 23, 2013
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, Most upset - My beautiful agave (wish I could have submitted an image) has stared to misbehave. The once first liquid filled leaves, are starting to look more like the skin ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants to replace Polygonum cuspidatum ( Japanese knotweed)
August 10, 2013
I live in a heavily wooed area of Chippewa Falls, WI. Our property is covered with Giant Japanese Knot Weed. We have been trying to get rid of it for years. We are finally going to try using the dr...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Growing conditions for Giant Coneflower from San Antonio
August 09, 2013
Rudbeckia maxima is considered to be a perennial plant for the sun but I have had a difficult time maintaining it in a pot in full sun before attempting to plant. Do you feel that it will survive and...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problem with Habiturf. Is it dormant or dead?
July 24, 2013
We planted habiturf in spring 2012. It's beautiful. But since last summer, we have had one area that seems to go dormant much more rapidly than the rest, even though it receives the same amount of ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problem with unknown tree in Austin, Texas
July 23, 2013
Have recently moved to Austin, Texas and have a tree in my backyard that has been dropping leaves and one major branch appears to be dead. That branch has hard rust colored sap circles (about penny si...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Sudden death of one side of Mountain Laurel from Canyon Lake TX
July 22, 2013
Hello! We live in Canyon Lake TX and have a Mountain Laurel that is in distress. It is planted in an irrigated flower bed and has been happily growing for 5 years. It is about 5' tall and has sever...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Halophytic biofilter plants native to Wisconsin
July 12, 2013
I am trying to design a biofilter using native WI plants. These plants must be very salt tolerant and low maintenance (as this biofilter will be used to treat storm water runoff from a salt shed), so ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Leaf drop from live oaks in mid-summer
July 08, 2013
We have a live oak that is starting to drop a considerable amount of leaves here in early July in Cypress Texas. Its a mature tree with a base diameter of 12-14" and 25-30' tall. We live in a subd...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plant identification of vine with fluffy-seeded pod
July 05, 2013
I saw a fluffy seeded pod on our hike this morning. I have seen this vine before, but do not know the proper and scientific name of it. Its leaves appear to be opposite and heart shaped. Could it be a...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

How to Control White Fungus on Prickly Pear Cactus?
July 04, 2013
Is there any kind of spray for our prickly pear that will help with the white fungus that has appeared on it?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Privacy hedge for Palm Springs CA
July 04, 2013
Dear Mr. Smarty Pants I have a 6 foot block wall, and my house is elevated, and I need a privacy hedge or tree (even flowering) to create more privacy. I do not want to use Ficus as I hear they can d...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Can oleander poison the ground below it?
June 29, 2013
Can oleander poison the ground below it? Would it kill/damage grass or other plants below it? Thanks.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Use of Turffalo in Possum Kingdom TX
June 27, 2013
Hello, we will be building a retirement home in the hillside area of Possum Kingdom Lake which currently has cactus, cedar, and some live oaks. Our intention is to keep most of the 8 acres natural wi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Spots on calycanthus petals from Buckley WA
June 20, 2013
Petals on calycanthus develop black spots the turn into holes. Problem appears shortly after buds open. Occurs every year. Foliage is healthy. Plant growing well and doubles or triples size every ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Pruning Ageratina havenensis from Magnolia TX
June 18, 2013
I planted a Eupatorium havanense last year here in the last sandy finger of the piney woods; it gets full sun in a well-drained raised bed, where it flowered well. I pruned it fairly close, and it cam...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

What's invading my bermuda grass?
June 11, 2013
Our grass is being totally overrun by this weed.(I don't know what the name is identify it by the description. It is in Bermuda grass and the only way to describe the weed is to say it looks like big...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Asphalt beneath surface of soil in Austin
June 03, 2013
About 3-4 inches below the surface of our yard is what appears to be asphalt. It comes out in chunks a few inches across and it's all about 1.5 inches thick. I have no idea what it is; my best guess ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Fruit crops to grow in Tennessee mountains
May 27, 2013
My property has a lot of rock formations throughout it and has hundreds of cedars where it is not pasture. I am wanting to grow fruit trees and berry bushes but don't know what can grow in this e...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Planting Texas Persimmon in enclosed planter from San Angelo TX
May 23, 2013
I want to plant a Texas Persimmon (in West Texas) in an enclosed planter 4' X 4' X 2.5' deep. What would be a good planting medium. Does it need to be deeper?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

How to deal with suckers on Flame-leaf Sumac
May 20, 2013
Hi! It seems you can have too much of a good thing! Our flameleaf sumac is taking over our yard. There are multiple shoots appearing in our flower beds and in the lawn. How do I get rid of the unwante...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identity of an Astragalus species near Terlingua, TX
May 14, 2013
I have been photographing as many of the wildflowers that I can this Spring 2013 season here in the Big Bend Area between BBNP, Terlingua and Alpine, TX. Two days ago I took a drive from Terlingua to ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Grey Goo Coming from red Oak in Manchaca TX
May 13, 2013
I have a large Red Oak in my yard that appears to be weeping some sort of grey goo from parts of the trunk. What is this goo and do I need to treat it and if so how? I'm happy to come by the Wildflow...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Mealy blue sage drooping from Canyon Lake TX
May 07, 2013
Mealy Blue Sage @ 4 ft Tall - Planted three Mealy Blue Sage last year and they topped out at 2 ft tall. This year they are 4 ft tall in early May, and many of the stems are growing near horizontal...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Black chokeberry edible from Huntsville ON
May 04, 2013
Can the fruit of the black chokeberry be eaten??
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is any part of Mountain Laurel poisonous to goats from Belton TX
May 02, 2013
We are considering planting Mountain Laurel in a field where we keep goats. Will any part of the Mountain Laurel be poisonous if eaten by the goats? If it would be poisonous, could you suggest some o...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Vines for Shade in Upstate New York
April 23, 2013
Hello! I am looking for a non-invasive vine that will grow in heavy shade near my house in upstate New York.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Horse pasture seeds from Pawling NY
April 19, 2013
We are getting ready to seed an area to be used as horse pasture some time in the future. What seed mix should we use to create an organic horse pasture in Pawling, NY. Ideally there would be some wil...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Mutation in bluebonnets from Elgin TX
April 16, 2013
What causes bluebonnets to mutate..grow as if three or four are combined into one flower on one very flat, wide stem. I have these in my yard; they are beautiful! I have taken several pictures.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Trees for property in Nevada
April 06, 2013
Mr. Smarty Plants: I would like to plant trees in between Crepe Myrtles than put up a fence along the paved road. The temperature ranges from 27'F to 130'F. It is a full sun all day and I will i...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Slow development in Shumard Oak from Porter TX
April 02, 2013
We had two Shumard Oaks Planted in Sept of last year (2012). About a month later, they started browning and dropping their leaves (no color change). Now I noticed on one of the trees the buds have sta...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Apples, pears and geraniums in Kipling, Saskatchewan
March 30, 2013
My geranium's leaves became yellow - Why? Where can I buy a good nice apple tree? Will apples and pears grow in south Saskatchewan?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Memorial Tree Safe for Horses in Oregon
March 28, 2013
Hi! I just lost my 33 year old beloved mare, Glory! She was my childhood horse and we have had her basically her whole life. We are looking for a special tree out in the pasture for her! She is bu...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Plants to grow in shady area near a pecan tree in Maryland
March 26, 2013
I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. I have planted only natives in my front lawn. My backyard, which sports a pecan tree, fir, fig tree, and others I can't identify is dirt, just dirt. I have...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with Monterrey Oak in Austin
March 26, 2013
We had a local tree service plant two Monterrey Oak trees on 4/2/2012. At the time we noticed that woodpeckers had had a field day on the trunk bark of both trees with the most damage being on the lar...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of tiny blue flower blooming in February
March 18, 2013
There is a very small four petal flower that appears near the end of Winter. (This year they appeared in late Feb). These little flowers are a "Light Blueish" hue. They are around a quarter inch ac...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

How to tell the difference between native and non-native thistles
March 13, 2013
It's thistle time already. There are many plants in the aster family with thistle in their common name. Are "real" thistles only those in the genus Cirsium, or are there others as well? We are tryi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Bringing Non-native Cannas out of Winter Storage
February 15, 2013
Mr. Smarty Plants - Is it possible to force canna tubers? Would placing them on a heating pad help? I am in Ohio - zone 5. Thank you
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Unrecognized grass in Habiturf from Spicewood TX
February 07, 2013
I purchased 2 bags of Habiturf from the Wildflower Center and planted it in late September. Now, early February, the predominant grass is not any of the 3 supposed components of the Habiturf, but look...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Hardiness of Acerola bush for Conway AR
January 25, 2013
How far north can you grow an Acerola bush? I live in Conway, AR, which is north of Little Rock.We used to be Zone 7, but now we are on the edge of Zone 8, I believe.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Need suggestion for a replacement tree in Dallas, TX.
January 23, 2013
We are going to have a 25' tall tree removed and ground out because every year squirrels chew the branches and make huge piles on the deck and into the pool. This continues for a good month 1.5. Hen...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Where can white prickly poppy be viewed en mass from Baton Rouge LA?
January 16, 2013
Does the center feature the native White Prickly Poppy? When is prime blooming season? Can you give me some specific locations in the area where the plant can be seen en mass and photographed? Thank...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native Plants for Shaded North Slope in Ohio
January 03, 2013
I have a shaded north hillside which needs erosion control plants. Mostly moss and very thin grass grows there now. Please help!
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Prickly pear doing poorly on Long Island NY
December 27, 2012
First, thanks for your reply on 11-3-12, re.Can a prickly pear cutting from Harker Heights, TX find happiness in Long Island, NY. The plants were set before a southern window in the attic, temp. ra...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Lonicera sempervirens not harmful to dogs from Naperville IL
December 16, 2012
Is the trumpet honeysuckle (lonicera sempervirens) harmful to dogs if eaten? I have been told in the past that the common trumpet vine is harmful, but this appears to be different. Thank you!!
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Dyes from native North American plants
November 29, 2012
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I have been working as a textile designer for many years and am now interested in harvesting native North American plants in order to create natural dyes. Which plant ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identity of milkweed vine with smooth seedpod
November 23, 2012
I believe the vine I am curious about may be Matelea reticulata. However, most of the pictures I have seen of that vine show bumps on the exterior of the seed pod, and the pod I have is green and smo...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Fasciation on Texas Mountain Laurel
November 21, 2012
Do Texas Mountain Laurel normally have a staghorn looking growth hanging on them after blooming in addition to the seed pod clusters or could this be a mutation?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Eliminating unwanted vine on arbor in San Francisco
November 20, 2012
There is a vine growing on our arbor, it has sickle-shaped pods and is crushing the arbor, how do we get rid of it?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Arizona centaury near Lost Maples from Austin
November 05, 2012
I found a clump of Arizona centaury growing/blooming beside a road near Lost Maples State Nat. Area in the Texas hill country last week. Centaurium calycosum is the scientific name. I have 2 questio...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of a plant saprophytic on oaks
October 04, 2012
What is name of plant poking up through the leaves near base of oak tree that appears as a cluster of yellow-brown stalks that resemble small pinecones or pineapples or cobs of corn?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Smog-eating plants from Ft. Worth TX
September 30, 2012
Looking for a list (40 >) of Native Texas Plants for Fort Worth Urban (Condo) that are Drought tolerant or (drip irr) and Fragrant and long blooming and eat up the city smog. Fort Worth is in a non-at...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Native deer-resistant plants for Virginia
September 26, 2012
I live in Roanoke/Salem Virginia and want to plant a few plants native to the area along the front yard rock wall. I would prefer they be the same, deer resistant, around 5-6 feet tall max and flower...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with mature cottonwood in Justin TX
September 17, 2012
I have a very large, 90" circumference, approx 60' tall, cottonwood tree in my front yard that appears to be sick. The trunk splits at about the 4' level into 2 parts. at that split is a 10" wide...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Bark problems with Monterrey oak from Austin
September 15, 2012
I planted a 65 gallon Monterrey Oak (White Oak) in my front yard in February of this year. I water it once a week. All of the leaves and branches appear very healthy and there is no discoloration....
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Gaura dying from Townsville, Australia
September 14, 2012
My passionate pink Gaura appears to be dying. It had a beautiful blooming period & now is going backwards. What is happening? I have pruned it, but don't know how to save it.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Want a vine, non-toxic to dogs, for Reno, NV.
September 11, 2012
I want a non toxic (to dogs) vine for Reno, NV
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Sap dripping from a lacey oaks in San Antonio
September 06, 2012
I have a lacey oak tree, approximately 6 ft. tall that has been in the ground almost a year. The tree looks healthy but there is a small area on the trunk that looks and feels wet. The substance is s...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Male or female Jatropha curcas from Brownsville TX
August 16, 2012
How do know the sex of a young Jatropha C. plant? how many weeks before you can tell a boy/girl plant ?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Landscaping with water garden from Pendleton SC
August 15, 2012
Searching for native plants in SC. Your results miss some plants listed on your site. I noticed this reading the Mr. Smarty Plants response to "Edible Plants for North GA" We aren't far apart. ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is it safe to eat vegetables grown in the same bed as foxgloves?
August 12, 2012
I have foxglove in my flower beds and have planted tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and cantaloupe in the flower bed and now I am concerned about the shared root system. Also, my tomatoes are touching the...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Forestiera pubescens blooming in July
August 07, 2012
I have a lot of what appears to be Forestiera pubescens. They are covered with the dark blue/black berries and flowers. Apparently they are blooming again in the middle of July. I live about 35 mile...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Non-native gardenias in Southampton Ontario
July 31, 2012
I purchased 3 gardenias this year for the garden. Now I'm told that I can't leave them out all year round here in mid/western Ontario. Is this true, and if so, how do I keep them over the winter i...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Something dripping from red oak in Austin
July 30, 2012
There is a large red oak outside my apartment. The leaves are shiny and covered with what appears to be oil. The ground underneath is coated with this also. When I parked under the tree my car beca...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with maple tree in Redding CA
July 17, 2012
I have a 2 yr. old October Glory tree that is looking bad. It leafed out this spring, but not as much as the others. In total I have 9 red maples along a fence row about 15 feet apart. The trees on ei...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Differences between Lantana urticoides and Lantana camara
July 13, 2012
I have found an orange variety of lantana growning in several location in Jefferson County. Is there any way I can tell for sure if it is L. camara or the native L. urticoides?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of vine from Las Vegas NV
July 11, 2012
I'm interested in identifying the vine shown by the leaf in this photo: https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zR3R4JSPYcCI4ESczNXWM4h8z33Cq5cyZNqSSYf9hx0?feat=directlink My mother-in-law got one o...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Growth on top of Echinacea purpurea (Eastern purple coneflower)
July 03, 2012
I grow purple coneflowers in my garden. ONE plant has something growing on the top of each cone. I would like to know what it is but I don't see how I can add a photo to this post.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Flower with spike of yellow flowers with hairy purple filaments
July 03, 2012
Fuzzy purple stamens! I can't find this plant identified anywhere. Blooms abt 1" or a little more across. 5 yellow petals, 5 sepals, & 5 stamens with yellow anthers, & the filaments are covered wi...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Lilies with with wide lush foliage in Georgia
July 01, 2012
I love lilies of all kinds, but I particularly like lilies with wide lush foliage. An example would be Agapanthus foliage. What other lilies present that same attribute?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Will Pavonia lasiopetala grow in Oklahoma from Kerrville Tx
June 23, 2012
How successfully could I grow Pavonia lasiopetala in central Oklahoma? My research shows that it is not native to Oklahoma.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Is Asclepias incarnata poisonous to dogs?
June 13, 2012
Is Asclepias incarnata safe in a farm/yard with plenty of dogs running around? What happens if a dog eats the leaves or seeds or pods? Is eating any of these fatal to dogs?
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Overwatering Texas Mountain Laurel from Rosanky TX
June 06, 2012
I just read your article in the Statesman about over watering Mt.Laurel. Now I know why my lovely 15 year old tree is dying. We put in new grass this winter and I watered too much. Is there any hop...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Problems with non-native Eugenia in Scottsdale AZ
June 02, 2012
I have 5 eugenia topiaries in my courtyard in pots..I notice as the days here in Phoenix get hotter and dry (as usual) they are starting to look bad, even though they are under a shelter out of the di...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Will deer eat lemon cypress trees from Hayden ID
June 02, 2012
Do deer eat lemon cypress trees? We do not think so since they are so spiny, but wanted a clarification.
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Trees starting to die in subdivision in Hutto, TX
May 31, 2012
I live in Hutto Tx, in a subdivision where everyone has the 2 trees planted in the front yard. My trees have started to die, and I want to find out what kind they are to find a solution
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Spots on leaves of Esperanza from Dallas
May 30, 2012
Have a new 1 foot high Esperanza. It is flowering OK (so far) but it has small rust colored spots about the size of a B-B all over most of the leaves. On the top side of the leaf the spot is depress...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Can foxglove poison be transmitted to the soil and taken up by another plant
May 29, 2012
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, Recently I discovered a Foxglove that had come up after being planted 2 or 3 yrs ago. Next to it I have some medicinal Feverfew growing. (They were so close together I suspec...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Cultivar of Cercis Canadensis from Haskell OK
May 16, 2012
We have a Hearts of Gold Redbud that first had dark edges to many of its leaves (about 2 weeks after planting). It now has multiple leaves w/ medium-dark brown spots on them. Are we looking at some ...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

Identification of vine in New York
May 15, 2012
I have a flowering vine that grows against my home and I'm not sure what it is, but it's beautiful with a delicate scent. The flowers look like clusters of mini purple pea pods hanging downward befo...
View Mr. Smarty Plants' Answer

topicquestion

<< previous 1 2 3 4 5 next >> 
470 Results:   10  25  50 100 per page