LUCI AND IAN FAMILY GARDEN
This 4.5-acre garden opened in 2014 connects children and families to the natural world by providing more than a dozen interactive and educational features made of natural materials.
What You’ll Find:
- A native shrub maze
- Giant tree stumps to climb on and around
- A walk-through Fibonacci spiral
- Giant birds’ nests made from native grape vines
- A grotto with caves and a picturesque waterfall
- An open-air lending library with shaded seating
- Math-themed hopscotch
- A soft, picnic-ready lawn of native turfgrass
- A child-sized wildlife blind
- Limestone boulders with interactive “watering holes”
- A flowing creek with dinosaur footprints and related water activities
And much more!
Family Garden Donors
This garden would not have been possible without these generous supporters.
The Wildflower Center is a national leader in the sustainable construction, installation and maintenance of its landscapes and buildings. We are committed to creating beautiful gardens and landscapes that are also ecologically functional and conserve resources.
So, the Center is more than “just a pretty place.” We showcase the beauty of native plants, but equally important, one of our goals is to create landscapes that provide environmental benefits. In fact, the we led the development of the SITES® landscape rating system in collaboration with the U.S. Botanic Garden and the American Society of Landscape Architects.
Some notable sustainable features:
- 100% native plant gardens
- 65,000-gallon rainwater harvesting system
- Efficient, "smart," low flow landscape irrigation system
- Use of local materials, harvested on site and nearby
- Solar arrays for power generation