PHOTO & VIDEO POLICIES
The Wildflower Center is a gorgeous setting for photography and video. Some types of photography and videography require permission, and we request our guests follow some guidelines too. If you are taking photos for yourself and/or of plants and wildlife at the Center for your social media channels, your blog or to show your friends and family, then snap away!
If you are a professional photographer, videographer, member of the media or publisher, then please read below.
General Photography Guidelines
- Please be courteous and polite to the general public and visitors. Do not block paths or restrict access to the grounds. No public area may be closed to visitor access during a photo shoot.
- Stay on the paths. Please do not leave the path or public areas to step into the gardens. Fire ants, poison ivy, cacti and snakes are probable in this natural environment.
- Service animals only. Pets are not allowed anywhere on this campus, including the parking lot. Do not leave a pet in your vehicle. Read more about our service animal policy.
- No smoking (including e-cigarettes) or tobacco use is permitted on the grounds at any time.
- Use utmost care and caution around all landscaping.
- Digging or planting of any plant material on the grounds is strictly prohibited. Absolutely no cutting of any plant material is permitted.
- Plant tags or signs are not to be moved or removed for any reason.
- Under no circumstances will nudity be permitted on the grounds of the Center. You and your guests must be properly attired at all times while on site.
- Alcoholic beverages are not permitted on the grounds and if observed will result in immediate cancellation of the shoot without refund of fees.
- Props or equipment belonging to the Wildflower Center may not be used in photo shoots.
- NOTE about DRONES: The use of drones on Wildflower Center property is prohibited by The University of Texas at Austin without explicit permission. Read more about the policy here.
- No commercial photography or videography (for advertisements, catalogs, commercials, etc.) is allowed at the Wildflower Center (see below).
From senior portraits and family photos to bridal or engagement photos, the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is a naturally beautiful location for your next photo session.
Register and Schedule With the Wildflower Center
- All professional portrait, event and wedding photographers wishing to take photos at the Wildflower Center are required to complete registration, schedule an appointment and pay appropriate fees.
- Wedding clients of the Center receive a complimentary 2-hour photo session with their photographer which must be scheduled in advance to ensure there is not a conflict in reservation time.
- Professional photographers pay a $500 annual location fee for a full year of access or $100 per day. Admission to the gardens for photographer and session participants is included in the fee.
- Photographers working with a Wildflower Center wedding client are exempt from the fees as long as their work is limited to wedding activities.
- No fees are assessed to official media photographers (see below).
Media Wishing to Cover the Wildflower Center
Please contact the Communications Department to obtain assistance before conducting interviews or creating audiovisual content on-site related to the Center. We can help you obtain access and select an ideal location. We can also provide hi-res images of the Center and its activities for use by the news media.
Contact [email protected] for further information.
TV, Film & Video
The Center can accommodate videos and photography for TV programs, student films, educational documentaries and the like. All such requests are handled by The University of Texas at Austin’s filming office and adhere to the university’s pricing and insurance requirements. To make a request and learn more, see The University of Texas at Austin’s Filming Guidelines.
Contact us at [email protected] for more information.
Commercial Photo and Video
Per University of Texas System rules, the Wildflower Center cannot be used for commercial purposes, including for advertisements, stock video and merchandise promotion.
Looking for photos of native plants?
If your print or digital publication is in need of photos of native plants, landscapes or the Wildflower Center, visit our Image Gallery for rates and to obtain permission.