Monday - September 17, 2012

Topic: Plant Identification, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Identity of plant with white flowers and serrated leaves in creek bed

QUESTION:

I have a wild fall blooming plant, white flowers, serrated leaves. Growing abundantly in my dry creek bed. Any thoughts?

ANSWER:

My best guess is that it is either Ageratina havanensis (Havana snakeroot or shrubby boneset) or Ageratina altissima var. altissima (White snakeroot).   Here are more photos and information about A. havanensis from the School of Biological Sciences, University of Texas and Flora of North America and here is more about A. altissima var. altissima from Native and Naturalized Plants of the Carolinas & Georgia and Flora of North America.

If neither of these looks like your plant and you have (or can take) photos of it, please visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants for identification.

Shrubby boneset
Ageratina havanensis

Shrubby boneset
Ageratina havanensis

Shrubby boneset
Ageratina havanensis

White snakeroot
Ageratina altissima var. altissima

White snakeroot
Ageratina altissima var. altissima

White snakeroot
Ageratina altissima var. altissima