Wednesday - March 18, 2009

From: Keller, TX
Title: Plant identification in Keller TX

QUESTION:

I'm trying to i.d. a wildflower found in Keller, Tx. It is about 8 in. tall, single upright stem with narrow, slender leaves up the stem, several red blooms at top of stem about 1 inch wide, 5 petals, somewhat cupped (but not as much as winecup), and the blooms close in evening. (Leaves look smaller but a lot like paintbrush stem.) Can you help?

ANSWER:

We found two possibilities for this description: Argemone sanguinea (red pricklypoppy) and Phlox drummondii (annual phlox). However, it is difficult to make a positive identification on description alone. Please see the instructions for sending a picture to Mr. Smarty Plants, and we will endeavor to give you a more accurate plant name. 

Argemone sanguinea

Argemone sanguinea

Phlox drummondii

Phlox drummondii