Austin, TX
Theory for live oak shoots from Austin
More on preventing suckers from coming up around live oaks in Austin. I too have been puzzled - why some live oaks have shoots, and not others. Posting here says different varieties have suckers. ...

Austin, TX
Restoring the woods in Central Austin.
I live in Austin, south central between Red Bud trail close to the low water bridge and Bee Caves road. My question: I want to make the wooded sections of my yard attractive. They have filtered sun...

Austin, TX
Arborvitae for house plant from Austin
I am a Northerner transplanted to Austin, TX. While I love Austin it feels like many of the plants & trees I came to love up north won't grow here at all. Could I grow an arborvitae in my home as a...

Austin, TX
Dividing non-native daffodils from Austin
The foliage on my daffodils is lush and healthy, but I have no blooms. Should I divide them?

Austin, TX
Soil for Emory Oak from Dripping Springs, TX
I bought an Emory Oak today at the Wildflower Center's plant sale. Upon reading about it when I got home, I see "it won't grow in alkaline soils." I was hoping to plant it in the riparian area ...

Austin, TX
Why did my Prairie Flax plant die in Austin, TX?
Hello, We planted 4 prairie flax last fall in garden. They were all growing nicely until last month when I found that one of them has completely dried up and died. The plants are planted together a...

Austin, TX
Need help with a fungal disease in oak trees in Austin, TX
Two adjacent oak trees in my yard are showing distinct symptoms of Sudden Oak Death. Most notably, the lowest ten feet of their trunks have several bleeding cankers with thick, tarry ooze and no accom...

Austin, TX
Removing invasive Dichelostemma firecracker plant from Austin
We have dichelostemma firecracker plant & cannot kill it. We need help in getting rid of this plant. Spent another 3 hours digging up corms this afternoon. It is invading our backyard & want it kil...

Austin, TX
Speed of growth on plants from Plant Sale from Austin
Hello, I recently attended the native plant sale and bought several plants for a sunny curbside bed in central Austin. Due to financial constraints I stuck with the 3 inch varieties so I could buy 3 ...

Austin, TX
Identification of willow-like tree
Hi. My daughter is trying to identify a native tree that is like a "scrub" tree here in pastures in Austin, Texas (for a school project). It sort of looks like weeping willow, but most aren't very ...

Austin, TX
Vine to cover pile of tree limbs
I have a pile of tree limbs in my yard. I'd like to find a (flowering or not) vine type plant native to the Austin TX area that will eventually grow all over and cover this pile. Thanks for any sug...

Austin, TX
Trimming of penstemon after bloooming from Austin
I planted a penstemon in my backyard last fall and it's doing great. Once the flowers have bloomed, do I cut the stalk back? It is about 2 ft tall and doesn't appear to be doing anything. I belie...

Austin, TX
Live oak wobbling in the ground from Austin
I have a live oak that was not planted firmly in the ground by the subdivision builder's landscapers. The entire tree is wobbly to the touch and it has come close to dying as result of windy condit...

Austin, TX
White blooms on Rose Pavonia from Austin
Hi Mr. Smarty Plants, I've planted my entire South Austin garden with natives from your excellent recommendations and I wanted to thank you, the garden is just beautiful! So here is my questio...

Austin, TX
Plants for attracting butterflies in Austin
My 9 year-old son is interested in finding butterfly eggs this Spring. His 3rd grade class is studying butterflies right now. I found a Wildflower Center article that lists several plants butterflie...

Austin, TX
Pruning live oak in Austin
Hi, We recently purchased a house in South Austin and there is a huge Live Oak Tree about 6 feet from the back door (so so so love it!) The only real issues I have so far are: 1. Needing to trim a ...

AUSTIN, TX
What clips green twigs from cedar elms?
Many small cuttings (3-5 inches long) are dropping from large cedar elm. To my eye the ends look like breaks (not chiseled), but I can't imagine what would cause so many breaks, and so think somethin...

Austin, TX
Eradicating trumpet vine runners in Austin
How do I eradicate trumpet vine runners from my lawn? Will it kill my pecan tree?

Austin, TX
What is hollowing out my rosebuds in Austin, TX?
I recently noticed some of my rose buds had been hollowed out from the inside. I have seen no evidence of insect though. What do you think it is and how can I treat the problem?

Austin, TX
Lopidea on Texas Mountain Laurel from Austin
How do I get rid of the Lopidea ALL OVER my Texas Laurels and boring into the seed pods?

AUSTIN, TX
Fence Vines for Austin, TX
Hi, What are the best high density vine plants for coverage on chain link fence in Austin, TX? Thank you