En Espa—ol

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Austin, TX
Need plants for a garden pathway in Austin, TX.
Hello! I am looking for a low-growing native plant or plants that I can use instead of grass; I have a section of the garden that gets full to part sun that will have a pathway of stones. I'd like ...

Austin, TX
Controlling oak suckers in Austin
We have 2 live oak trees that are sprouting shoots all around the surrounding area. We would like to plant some grass and would like to remedy this first. We have mowed the shoots and still they jus...

Austin, TX
Non-native bougainvillea from Austin
Bougainvillea isn't a native, but since they are so prevalent here, I hope you can help. I have three, one established in-the-ground, which is pruned almost to the ground every winter; two new this y...

Austin, TX
Yellowing leaves on non-native jasmine from Austin
Hi, I have a mature jasmine plant in the ground in a very sunny courtyard which gets watered daily. The lower leaves are turning yellow and am wondering if this is too much water for it. The top lea...

Austin, TX
Growing Osage Orange in Caliche in Austin
Does Osage Orange tree grow in caliche? Do nurseries carry it?

Austin, TX
Drip irrigation and uneven distribution
Subject: Drip irrigation and uneven distribution. Iíve installed drip irrigation in an area of mature shrubs (St. Johnís Wort) in Austin. These have previously received about ĺ inch of water once ...

Austin, TX
Yellowing of leaves in Texas Mountain Laurel from Austin
I planted a Texas Mountain Laurel in my Austin, TX yard this January. The tree was good sized (about 5 feet tall) when I planted it. Recently the leaves of the tree have started to turn yellow alon...

Austin, TX
Information on non-native caladiums from Austin
Have you a leaflet on growing caladiums in the Austin area?

Austin, TX
Evergreen shrub for Austin TX
I am wanting an evergreen shrub 6-8 ft tall to use as a screen in our backyard. Do you have any suggestions?

Austin, TX
Repairing the split trunk of a TX mountain laurel
I have a fairly large mountain laurel that I just realized has a split down the trunk. Is there anything I can do to save it?

Austin, TX
Suffering Yaupon in Austin
I am in the Austin area and I planted a Pride of Houston Yaupon in my back yard in March. It is in full sun. Lately the leaves have been turning pale green and now they fall off the tree upon touchi...

Austin, TX
Planting Candelilla from Austin
Good Morning and thank you for answering my question!! I am interested in planting a Candelilla plant (it looks like small bamboo plants growing only a 2-3 feet tall. I heard it is supposed to be ver...

Austin, TX
Dealing with live oak suckers in Central Texas
Hi, I have a couple huge Live Oak trees in my back yard. Trunks are 4' in diameter. These Live Oaks produce a lot of root sprouts/suckers. I had always head that a tree's roots feed on water/oxyg...

Austin, TX
Does Calyptocarpus vialis (Horseherb) compete with turf grasses
For my yard in central Austin Does horse herb, Calyptocarpus vialis help or damage the growth of native short grasses? The grasses include Curly Mesquite and Blue Gamma planted early in the spring or...

Austin, TX
Recycling bath water from Austin
Is using bath water going to hurt my plants or grass? If I use water from the bath on vegetables and fruits will the soap be absorbed by the fruit and/or vegetables thereby transferring to us when we ...

Austin, TX
Problem with unknown tree in Austin, Texas
Have recently moved to Austin, Texas and have a tree in my backyard that has been dropping leaves and one major branch appears to be dead. That branch has hard rust colored sap circles (about penny si...

Austin, TX
A privacy hedge for a shady spot in Austin, TX
What is a good choice for a privacy hedge in west Austin in a predominantly shady area? I'd like it to be 8-12 feet, along the fence, so as to obstruct the view of the neighbor's yard.

Austin, TX
Compatibility of mixed ground covers with St. Agustine grass
My husband and I live in Northwest Austin. We have removed lawn from our front yard and replaced it with mulch and some trees and other plantings. We would like to replace the lawn in our backyard ...

Austin, TX
Non-native Lavender Problem in Austin, TX
I am having a problem with two of my lavender plants and was hoping I could send a photo of each to get your opinion. I've been growing rosemary and lavender successfully for quite sometime and am aw...

Austin, TX
Grasses for a pasture in Hays County, Texas with horses
I intend to sow grass seed over a few acres of pasture on which I'll have a couple of horses in Driftwood, TX. I'd like to know what variety of seed(s) would be most beneficial to the land - and th...

Austin, TX
Dividing Agapanthus
When and how do I separate Agapanthus? Should I do it?