En Espa—ol

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Austin, TX
Corn gluten on Habiturf from Austin
I live in Central Austin. This past Spring 2013) I replaced my San Augustine lawn with Habiturf. My question concerns corn gluten. It is usually applied in late Jan - mid Feb. Would using corn glu...

Austin, TX
Optimal time for trimming Fall asters
RE: fall asters What is the latest date in the summer that I can trim my fall asters and still get a good amount of blooms in October?

austin, TX
Bird nest fungus in Central Austin, TX.
Hi, I live in Central Austin and have different types of ground cover (such as silver pony foot)in my garden and have noticed huge patches of bird's nest fungi in between and under. Every time it ...

Austin, TX
Information on non-native caladiums from Austin
Have you a leaflet on growing caladiums in the Austin area?

Austin, TX
Bringing upright a leaning cholla cactus
I have a 3 ft. tall Cylindropuntia bigelovii that fell over after recent rains. I righted it and supported it with garden stakes for about a month. I was afraid to pull too hard on the low...

Austin, TX
Protecting a non-native Meyer Lemon from Freezing in Austin
What is the best way to protect my Meyer Lemon tree from freezing Austin weather? It has been planted in my yard for 1 year and is about 4 feet high

Austin, TX
Why aren't the Caesalpinia species in the Native Plant Database
Why doesn't the Wildflower Center list Caesalpinia in its plant database? I grow 3 species in my garden with no coddling: C. mexicana, C. gilliesii, and C. pulcherrima. I underst...

Austin, TX
Bluebonnets in Hampton VA?
I gave my mom Blue Bonnet seeds for her yard in Hampton VA. She is on a mission to have no lawn and loves flowers. The seeds say to plant in Texas August-November. But, when should she plant them i...

Austin, TX
Identification of possible toxic plant in Austin, TX
When we hike with our dogs along Turkey Creek in Austin, they seem to make a bee line to a small green leafy plant when they find it along the trail and eat a few leaves of it. We assume it's not dan...

Austin, TX
Starting yucca from seed from Austin
I would like to start a soft leaf yucca recurvifolia from seed. Is that possible? Also, I've looked for seed on dried flower stalks, and I'm not sure that what I'm finding is the seed, and I ...

Austin, TX
Pruning live oak in Austin
Hi, We recently purchased a house in South Austin and there is a huge Live Oak Tree about 6 feet from the back door (so so so love it!) The only real issues I have so far are: 1. Needing to trim a ...

Austin, TX
Acre-scale Grass Removal near Austin, TX
How do I get rid of 10 acres of Kleingrass?

Austin, TX
Tiny holes oozing sap from Austin
My ash tree becomes loaded with butterflies on the trunk. At closer inspection, I see they are drinking sap which is coming from small holes in the trunk. Are the butterflies creating the holes? I ...

Austin, TX
Mexican species Orbexilum melanocarpum.
This is not a question; just a note to supplement a previous MSP post answering a query about a source for Orbexilum. The "mountain pea" that the original questioner was asking about is the e...

Austin, TX
Yellowing of leaves in Texas Mountain Laurel from Austin
I planted a Texas Mountain Laurel in my Austin, TX yard this January. The tree was good sized (about 5 feet tall) when I planted it. Recently the leaves of the tree have started to turn yellow alon...

Austin, TX
Comments on white-flowered Mountain Laurel from Austin
Following up on the August 23, 2012, question from Driftwood about the white-flowering mountain laurel, I have found a few more leads to explore. First, there are four more images of white-flowering m...

Austin, TX
Differences in prostrate Mimosa species
There are apparently a lot of little pink puffy-flowered prostrate plants with thorny stems and sensitive leaves: Mimosa microphylla, Mimosa roemeriana, Mimosa strigillosa. How does one tell them apar...

Austin, TX
Identification of pink flower photographed at the Wildflower Center
Last August I took a photo at the Wildflower Center and now I'm trying to identify it. The flower has many pink petals that either stick straight out or downward and the center has pink frills edging...

Austin, TX
Tan, rough, fan-shaped growth on mountain laurels
A tan rough fan-shaped "something" is growing at the end of the mountain laurel branch where the flowers would be .. what is it and can it harm the plant?

Austin, TX
Drip irrigation and uneven distribution
Subject: Drip irrigation and uneven distribution. Iíve installed drip irrigation in an area of mature shrubs (St. Johnís Wort) in Austin. These have previously received about ĺ inch of water once ...

Austin, TX
Identification of willow-like tree
Hi. My daughter is trying to identify a native tree that is like a "scrub" tree here in pastures in Austin, Texas (for a school project). It sort of looks like weeping willow, but most aren't very ...