Friday - August 28, 2009

From: Roosevelt, NY
Title: Plant identfication for Roosevelt Park, NY

QUESTION:

Looking for the name and chemical breakdown of a tree. Its leaves are green with heart like puffs blooming out. This tree was seen at Roosevelt Park, Long Island NY 11575

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants really loves doing plant IDs but I'll have to confess that he is a bit baffled.  Green leaves are not much of a clue since most plants have green leaves.  Are the heart-like puffs flowers or are they the green leaves?  If they are flowers, what color are they?  What sort of chemical information are you looking for?  Do you want to know if the tree is poisonous?  edible?  Mr. Smarty Plants really doesn't understand.  If you can send us photos of the tree, we will do our very best to identify it.  Please also tell us what chemical information you are looking for.  For instructions on submitting photos, please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page.