Tuesday - February 09, 2010

From: New Braunfels, TX
Title: Drought-Tolerant Trees for South-Central Texas
Answered by: Dean Garrett

I would like to replace two Golden Rain Trees with native ornamentals. They should be highly drought tolerant and should not exceed 25 feet in height. They will need to be tough since they will get little water from the hose once they are established. Do you have any suggestions? I live in the Hill Country north of New Braunfels.

There are several trees native to your area that are highly drought-tolerant and no taller than 25 feet:

There are other trees native to your area that are drought-tolerant but may grow beyond your desired height, depending on soil and moisture:

Since you didn't state whether the site is in full sun or shade, I assumed that it is mostly likely sunny. All these trees except Texas Redbud and Texas Mountain Laurel require full sun, but Texas Redbud can grow in either part shade or full sun and Texas Mountain Laurel can grow in shade but prefers full sun and will only bloom in full sun.

Rhus lanceolata

Diospyros texana

Sophora secundiflora

Cotinus obovatus

Cercis canadensis var. texensis

Parkinsonia aculeata

Sapindus saponaria var. drummondii

Ehretia anacua

Fraxinus texensis

Sideroxylon lanuginosum

Condalia hookeri

Rhus lanceolata