Thursday - September 14, 2006

From: Bedford, QC
Region: Canada
Topic: Transplants, Trees
Title: Transplanting time for Smoketree in Quebec
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

I would like to transplant my smoke tree. It is two years old. When would be the best time of the year to transplant. I live in Zone 4.

Spring, after the ground has thawed, would be the best time to transplant your Smoketree (Cotinus obovatus). In preparation for the move in the spring you should root prune your tree now. Michigan State University Extension has an excellent article, Transplanting, that describes how to root prune and move your tree. It is really important with a smoketree to get a good rootball. It seems that this genus does not like to be disturbed a lot and and may demonstrate its displeasure by dying. Additionally, since you are in Quebec at the northern limit of the smoketree's range, you will want to look for a somewhat protected spot for its new location.