Mr. Smarty Plants - Native landscaping plants for Sherman, Texas

Wednesday - December 19, 2007

From: Sherman, TX
Topic: Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Native landscaping plants for Sherman, Texas

QUESTION:

We are starting from scratch on landscaping our new yard. We live in Sherman, TX and I would like to use plants and flowers that are native to Texas and have a good chance of surviving. What are your suggestions for trees, bushes, and flowers? We have a large, empty front and backyard that will be watered with a sprinkler system.

ANSWER:

You are in luck because there are lots of suggestions for native landscaping plants for your area. First, you can visit our Recommended Species for North Central Texas. Entries on the list are linked to our information on each species of plant. The Collin County chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas (NPSOT) has a List of Native Plants for Landscape use in Dallas-Ft. Worth. The Trinity Forks chapter of NPSOT in Denton has lists of native plants organized by type of plant (Grasses, Trees, etc.) or type of garden (e.g., Shade, Water, Wildlife).

Mr. Smarty Plants hopes that if you are considering turf grass for your lawn that you will check out Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss). It does very well in full sun, requires little water and needs mowing infrequently.

You can look for nurseries in your area that specialize in native plants in our Natiional Suppliers Directory. The Collin County chapter of NPSOT also has a list of nurseries that supply native plants.

Now, here are a few of the Green Guru's (Mr. Smarty Plants) favorites to get you started:

TREES

Ulmus americana (American elm)

Carya illinoinensis (pecan)

Quercus muehlenbergii (chinkapin oak)

Quercus stellata (post oak)

Prunus mexicana (Mexican plum)

SHRUBS/SMALL TREES

Amorpha fruticosa (desert false indigo)

Frangula caroliniana (Carolina buckthorn)

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry)

Styphnolobium affine (Eve's necklacepod)

VINES

Campsis radicans (trumpet creeper)

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle)

Rosa setigera (climbing rose)

Clematis pitcheri (bluebill)

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper)

HERBACEOUS

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed)

Oenothera speciosa (pinkladies)

Echinacea angustifolia (blacksamson echinacea

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower)

Calylophus berlandieri (Berlandier's sundrops)

Ulmus americana

Carya illinoinensis

Quercus muehlenbergii

Quercus stellata

Prunus mexicana

Amorpha fruticosa

Frangula caroliniana

Callicarpa americana

Styphnolobium affine

Campsis radicans

Lonicera sempervirens

Rosa setigera

Clematis pitcheri

Parthenocissus quinquefolia

Oenothera speciosa

Echinacea angustifolia

Conoclinium coelestinum

Calylophus berlandieri