Tuesday - July 31, 2012

Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Pests, Trees
Title: Demise of Flameleaf Sumac in Austin, TX.

My Flameleaf Sumac suddenly died. Beetles came out around the trunk when I cut it down. How can I prevent this on the other sumac?

Flame-leaf Sumac Rhus lanceolata (Prairie flameleaf sumac)  is a small deciduous tree with outstanding fall foliage that lives up to the name “flame-leaf”. It is described as a relatively fast growing tree, heat- cold- and drought tolerant, and generally pest and disease free.

Were  there any major changes in the tree’s environment that precede its demise?

Mr. Smarty Plants suggests that you contact the folks at the Travis County office of Texas AgriLife Extension to have someone look at your tree and perhaps identify the beetles that you found. If they are the culprit, then some insecticide may be needed to protect your other Sumac.