Monday - July 26, 2010

From: Gatesville, TX
Title: Vines for fence in Gatesville, Texas

QUESTION:

Dear Mr Smarty Plants, My wife and I are looking for a nice vine or Ivy for our chain link fence to add a little privacy. We have 4 dogs that bark at anything that moves. We live in Gatesville Texas (Central Texas region) Any suggestions? T and S

ANSWER:

Here are several native vines that would go nicely on your chain link fence.  You might even use a combination of vines.  I don't guarantee that they will stop the dogs from barking, however—dogs can detect things that we would never see, hear or smell! 

Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle) is evergreen.

Gelsemium sempervirens (evening trumpetflower) is also evergreen.

Bignonia capreolata (crossvine) is semi-evergreen to evergreen.

Clematis drummondii (Drummond's clematis) is deciduous.

Clematis pitcheri (bluebill) is deciduous.

Clematis virginiana (devil's darning needles) is deciduous.

Clematis texensis (scarlet leather flower) is deciduous.

Ampelopsis cordata (heartleaf peppervine) is deciduous.

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper) is deciduous.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery: