En Espa—ol

Thursday - May 03, 2007

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Native evergreen shrub for Dallas

QUESTION:

Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in Dallas and I am trying to look for a native evergreen shrub that blooms and works well in full to partial sun. I thought about "lantana" and/or a "firecracker", but some sites say they are or are not an evergreen, some say they do well or do not do well in freezing temps. Can you help me out with this or give some other suggestions? Thanks

ANSWER:

Lantana urticoides (Texas lantana) is not evergreen. When the temperature drops below freezing its leaves will freeze and turn brown.

Although Bouvardia ternifolia (firecrackerbush) is evergreen, it is native to west Texas (Big Bend area) and is not likely to do well in Dallas. It is rated for USDA Plant Hardiness Zones 9-11 (average minimum temperature for Zone 9 is 20-30 degrees F) and Dallas is in Zone 8 (average minimum temperature is 10-20 degrees F).

The following four shrubs/small trees are evergreen and are native in or near Dallas County. Although they don't have spectacularly showy flowers, they do have colorful berries that attract birds.

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)

Rhus virens (evergreen sumac)

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Prunus caroliniana (Carolina laurelcherry)

Rhus virens

Prunus caroliniana