En Espa—ol

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Dallas, TX
Plants for soils with extreme pH values
I am doing a project on acid and alkaline on the ph scale but all I can find is a range of 5.0 to 8.0. Do they have plants in the range of 8.0 to 14.0 or 1.0 to 5.0? If not, why is that? If so, what a...

Dallas, TX
Planting a container of wildflower seeds in Dallas
I have purchased a 1 # container of wild flower seeds in North Dallas. When can I throw these seeds in a nearby field, & is it advantageous to do it during a rain?

Dallas, TX
Source for Desert Willow from Dallas
I'm looking for a source for chilopsis linearis. I live in Dallas, TX. None of the specialty nurseries in Dallas seem to be able to source it. Is there any local source? Is there any source withi...

Dallas, TX
Identification of plant with white spike blooms and red berries
I just came back from a hike in Dallas and found large areas where a lanceolate- to acuminate- leafed herb was blooming spikes of white, 4 petal flowers that quickly turn to bright red berries, someti...

Dallas, TX
Why is non-native, invasive dandelion called a wildflower?
Why is a dandelion a wildflower? {I read it in a book.}

Dallas, TX
Need suggestion for a replacement tree in Dallas, TX.
We are going to have a 25' tall tree removed and ground out because every year squirrels chew the branches and make huge piles on the deck and into the pool. This continues for a good month 1.5. Hen...

Dallas, TX
More on bluebonnets
When will the bluebonnets bloom in the Hill Country this spring? Please let us know. Thank you.

Dallas, TX
Grasses and flowering plants for Dallas
I have an area of morning sun next to my house about ten feet deep. I would like to mix a fairly tall grass with two other plants, flowering. What are some of your suggestions?

Dallas, TX
Need help with dying clumps of Cedar Sedge
Carex planostachys. This grass was planted 2 years ago in light shade. It grew well until this year. Now some clumps are dying. Others in same area look fine. No insects can be detected. Why are...

Dallas, TX
Controlling erosion with grasses in Dallas, TX
After consulting with several geological engineers and the city of Dallas engineers - we know that our severe erosion problem can only be fixed by building a 35' foot high gabion wall about 150' in ...

Dallas, TX
Native plants to make houses for sale more attractive
I could use your suggestions: I have 2 small houses in Dallas which I am trying to sell, and would like to beautify -- with plants. Currently there are no shrubs or groundcover or trees -- nor anyo...

Dallas, TX
Habiturf for East Texas
We live in east Texas, right on the beginning of the piney words, the soil is a little sandy. We have taken up a wooden walkway but can't get anything to grow there. Could the soil be dead from year ...

Dallas, TX
Propagating sundrop plants in Dallas
How do I propagate sundrop plants?

Dallas, TX
Ornamental grass next to golf course pond
I need an ornamental grass or shrub that will grow on a terrace next to a golf course pond and be ~ 3' of height. The plant will receive afternoon sun, must survive periodic flooding in the spring an...

Dallas, TX
Wildflower garden with Castilleja indivisa (Indian paintbrush)
I want to start a wildflower garden in my front/backyard. Specifically, I would like to include the indian paintbrush. What is the best way to go about this? Straight in the ground, containers, etc...

DALLAS, TX
Flowering and fruting of Texas wild plums and where they grow
Could you please tell me about Texas wild plum treesówhen they flower, when they bear fruit and where they grow.

Dallas, TX
Need drought resistant screen at Lake Whitney, Texas
Need drought tolerant shrub for use as screen at Lake Whitney. Will have to survive with little watering.

Dallas, TX
Plants for field mice in habitat restoration in Dallas County, Texas
For grassland and bottomland habitat restoration projects in North Central Texas (Dallas), what native plants would be beneficial as food sources for field mice. Thanks.

Dallas, TX
Proliferation of Small Palafoxia in Dallas Co. TX
A few years ago I noticed a new wildflower I hadn't seen before in the southwest Dallas County area. I found the name to be Small Palafoxia. It was growing along the edges of HWy 67 in Duncanville ...

Dallas, TX
Predictin bloom time for Indian Blankets (Gaillardia pulchella)
Is there any way to predict when the Indian Blankets will bloom this year? I live in Dallas, and last year they were in peak bloom at Twelve Hills Nature Center (also in Dallas) around the 21st of Ma...

Dallas, TX
Is a Texas Mountain Laurel too messy for swimming pool area?
Our landscaper has recommended a Texas Mountain Laurel to plant beside our swimming pool. We recently removed Cherry Laurels from the same location because of the mess they made in the pool (especiall...