A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Dallas, TX
Problems with non-native Chocolate Mimosa from Dallas
I have a Chocolate Mimosa I planted last spring. It came back strong this spring but suddenly the leafs have started turning brown and falling off, it gets watered every morning and I don't have a c...

Dallas, TX
Wildflower gardening for Henderson Co. TX
We purchased some of the Lady Bird's Legacy Wild Flower Mix and the Hummers and Singers to plant on Ranch in East Texas, Henderson County, that has Sandy Loam Soil. We would like to plant the seeds i...

Dallas, TX
Ivy for wall cover in Dallas
I am trying to cover older apartments with Ivy to create a beautiful exterior look, but after reading several articles on how the Texas Sun kills Ivy, I would like to know what plant can I use to crea...

Dallas, TX
Texas native plants in an indoor space in Dallas
Is there a native Texas plant that would be suited for an indoor application, such as large planters in a lobby space?

Dallas, TX
What plant grows in extremely hot Texas weather in the shade in Dallas Texas?
What plant grows in extremely hot Texas weather in the shade?

Dallas, TX
Habiturf for East Texas
We live in east Texas, right on the beginning of the piney words, the soil is a little sandy. We have taken up a wooden walkway but can't get anything to grow there. Could the soil be dead from year ...

Dallas, TX
Identification of pines on I35 between Dallas and Denton
I frequently drive I-35E from Dallas up to Denton and I've often wondered if the pine trees that I see near the road and in the surrounding areas, especially between Lewisville and Denton, have been ...

Dallas, TX
Horseherb for ground cover in Dallas
When considering horseherb as a ground cover for a large area; are there disadvantages to sowing seed versus planting established plants? If not, what time of year is best to sow horseherb?

Dallas, TX
Pictures of Bastard Cabbage from Dallas TX
HI! Re your March 12 posting: The USDA Plants website pictures two very different looking plants identified as Rapistrum rugosum (bastardcabbage). Would you please post a photo with leaf and bloom ...

Dallas, TX
Help with plant ID
I found this plant alongside the road in a field in North Dallas. The dirt was fairly dry, and image is attached.

Dallas, TX
Plants for narrow moist shade in Dallas
We are looking for plants in a narrow strip next to our house. It is a shady area that holds a lot of water. We would love plants that would help take water out of the soil. Do you have any suggest...

Dallas, TX
Is Nothoscordum bivalve (crow poison, false garlic) really poison
Your Native Plants Database notes that False Garlic (aka, Crow Poison), Nothoscordum bivalve, is poisonous. Many other sites also state this, but I have been unable to find a reference giving specifi...

Dallas, TX
Is bald cypress native to Dallas area?
There are 2 very large bald cypress trees growing beside one another at a park in North Dallas, and I was wondering if they were native or planted a long time ago by the settlers or something. They ar...

Dallas, TX
Browning of non-native Plectranthus in Dallas
I live in Dallas and planted 'Mona Lavender' which is now brown and limp after overnight temps in the low 30's. Is it dead or will it come back? Do I need to cover these plants during the winter m...

Dallas, TX
Spots on leaves of Esperanza from Dallas
Have a new 1 foot high Esperanza. It is flowering OK (so far) but it has small rust colored spots about the size of a B-B all over most of the leaves. On the top side of the leaf the spot is depress...

Dallas, TX
Replacing St. Augustine grass from Dallas TX
Dear Mr. Pants, we are replacing dying St. Augustine grass in a small, sunny back yard with ground cover. What are your recommendations for a drought-tolerant evergreen ground cover? We will till a...

Dallas, TX
Getting started in gardening
Does the center publish any or several planting guides to help gardeners get started? I find it is overwhelming understanding where to start. I have some lake property in East Texas close to Athen...

Dallas, TX
Listings of the native plants in Texas
What are the native plants in the state of Texas?

Dallas, TX
Plants for soils with extreme pH values
I am doing a project on acid and alkaline on the ph scale but all I can find is a range of 5.0 to 8.0. Do they have plants in the range of 8.0 to 14.0 or 1.0 to 5.0? If not, why is that? If so, what a...

Dallas, TX
Native plants to make houses for sale more attractive
I could use your suggestions: I have 2 small houses in Dallas which I am trying to sell, and would like to beautify -- with plants. Currently there are no shrubs or groundcover or trees -- nor anyo...

Dallas, TX
Need plants for full sun in Dallas Texas.
What plants are best to use for full sun in Dallas Texas?