A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Dallas, TX
Shrub for Dallas Street
I am looking for a native shrub for Dallas, Texas. It is full sun with a maximum height of 3 feet to border the street edge of a shopping center. It will get irrigated.

Dallas, TX
Proliferation of Small Palafoxia in Dallas Co. TX
A few years ago I noticed a new wildflower I hadn't seen before in the southwest Dallas County area. I found the name to be Small Palafoxia. It was growing along the edges of HWy 67 in Duncanville ...

Dallas, TX
Wildflower driving tours in Texas
I am looking for suggested wildflower driving tours in Texas. Do you perhaps have a listing of suggested driving routes one might take for a day or two in order to view the Springtime wildflowers? A...

Dallas, TX
Planting wildflowers on roadsides in Dallas
Am interested in leading Y Princess group in community effort to plant wildflowers along roads in Dallas area. Do you have any advice on how to approach the problem or sources for the seeds?

Dallas, TX
Invasive Cissus trifoliata in Dallas
I have finally identified an invasive, stinky vine in my urban landscape as Cissus trifoliata. It was waxy leaves, small greenish flowers, and small black berries. It appears to spread with undergrou...

Dallas, TX
Need suggestions for shrubs for for screening along a 70 ft fence in Dallas, TX.
Hi, My new home backyard is right adjacent to an intersection of reasonably busy roads. The other side of one of these roads is commercial area. From your website, I understand that Wax Myrtle is bes...

Dallas, TX
Fragrant perennial plants for shade in Dallas
I am looking for shade-loving perennial plants to provide fragrance in my garden. What plants would you recommend for my North Texas (Dallas) garden that is fully shaded by huge pecan trees? My curren...

Dallas, TX
Is a mulberry tree undesirable?
I have a hard time keeping plants alive, so I was happy when a random plant just started growing and thriving about 5 years ago in my yard. My mom (a frequent volunteer at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildf...

Dallas, TX
What plant grows in extremely hot Texas weather in the shade in Dallas Texas?
What plant grows in extremely hot Texas weather in the shade?

Dallas, TX
Webbing on oak leaves and fuzzy yellow growths on leaf veins
I have a large red oak(?) and live oak that appear to have the same problem. Clumps of leaves all over the trees are covered by fine webbing and the leaves appear to be curling up and dying in the we...

Dallas, TX
When Should Wildflower Seeds be Planted in Dallas, Texas
Mr. Pants: I have received some seed packets of wildflower seeds from GO TEXAN. How late can I plant these in central Dallas (8 a/b)?

Dallas, TX
Source for seeds of Mexican primrose from Dallas
Can I purchase Mexican Evening Primrose seeds now for planting in the fall or do I need to wait for the fresh crop of seeds that will be gathered from this spring flowering. How can I be assured the ...

Dallas, TX
Wildflower garden with Castilleja indivisa (Indian paintbrush)
I want to start a wildflower garden in my front/backyard. Specifically, I would like to include the indian paintbrush. What is the best way to go about this? Straight in the ground, containers, etc...

Dallas, TX
Growing Magnolia from Seed in Dallas
I recently visited the property that had once been my grandmother's. Lots of memories. The house burned down years ago, but the magnolia tree that she loved still stood. I gathered several dried seed...

Dallas, TX
Starting program for growing wildflowers on highways in Dallas
How can I start a planting program to grow wildflowers along the interstate and highways where I live?

Dallas, TX
Need plants for full sun in Dallas Texas.
What plants are best to use for full sun in Dallas Texas?

Dallas, TX
Problems with Juniperus scopulorum in Dallas
Dallas, Texas - Juniperus Scopolorum "Skyrocket" Last June I planted six, five foot tall along my chain length fence by the alley. Full sun. One died within 6 months. The soil seems to stay damp...

Dallas, TX
Ivy for wall cover in Dallas
I am trying to cover older apartments with Ivy to create a beautiful exterior look, but after reading several articles on how the Texas Sun kills Ivy, I would like to know what plant can I use to crea...

Dallas, TX
Lawn care?
I had red yucca planted in my garden last May. They were trimmed back by my lawn care people last winter and currently seem to be slowly growing back. However, the red flower stalk is not growing ba...

Dallas, TX
Identification of plant with white spike blooms and red berries
I just came back from a hike in Dallas and found large areas where a lanceolate- to acuminate- leafed herb was blooming spikes of white, 4 petal flowers that quickly turn to bright red berries, someti...

Dallas, TX
Wildflower gardening for Henderson Co. TX
We purchased some of the Lady Bird's Legacy Wild Flower Mix and the Hummers and Singers to plant on Ranch in East Texas, Henderson County, that has Sandy Loam Soil. We would like to plant the seeds i...