En Espa—ol

A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Dallas, TX
Planting wildflowers on roadsides in Dallas
Am interested in leading Y Princess group in community effort to plant wildflowers along roads in Dallas area. Do you have any advice on how to approach the problem or sources for the seeds?

Dallas, TX
Need Small Native Shrub in Dallas, TX
We live in Dallas and are looking for a dwarf bush that we can plant in the space between the sidewalk and the street in front of our house. It would receive full sun to partial shade. We would like...

Dallas, TX
Is post oak resistant to oak wilt from Dallas TX
I am confused. The NPIN website says that Post Oak IS susceptible to oak wilt, but all the other information I have been able to find says that it is resistant to oak wilt and rarely gets the diesase....

Dallas, TX
Possible tax exemptions for wildlife management
I am interested in finding out whether there are state grants to help land owners grow wildflowers on otherwise unused portions of their properties. Would you happen to know whom I should contact or w...

Dallas, TX
Problems with Texas Mountain Laurel in Dallas
I have a Texas Mountain Laurel that is about 3 years old. When I bought it 2 summers ago, it was about a foot high. Now it is over 6 feet. It seems to have grown so fast that the branches can't ke...

Dallas, TX
Choosing large containers (pots) for plants in Dallas, Texas.
Hi, I was wondering if you could help me pick a plant for a container garden. We live in Dallas, TX. Our soil is very clay, but I thought we could do something fun in containers with sand or something...

Dallas, TX
Pruning time for Smoke Tree (Cotinus obovatus)
Gentlemen: I have a Texas Smoke Tree (Cotinus obovatus). It's doing very well & I wish to prune it before its leaves come out. I understand there are a few trees you don't prune, among them birch. I...

Dallas, TX
Problems with non-native Chocolate Mimosa from Dallas
I have a Chocolate Mimosa I planted last spring. It came back strong this spring but suddenly the leafs have started turning brown and falling off, it gets watered every morning and I don't have a c...

Dallas, TX
Supplier for native lawn grass for South Texas
Where would I buy native lawn grass for South Texas? Would it be sod or seed?

Dallas, TX
Container plants for Dallas, TX
I need help with container plants that can endure being out in the full sun and don't need a lot of maintenance. I would prefer something that is about 2-3' at its height and has a rounded shape. ...

Dallas, TX
Help with plant ID
I found this plant alongside the road in a field in North Dallas. The dirt was fairly dry, and image is attached.

Dallas, TX
Flowering annuals for Dallas TX
1. What Non-wildflower flowers (flowers that WILL bloom first year/within first 2-3 months after plant seeds)are recommended for Dallas, TX area that could tolerate part-shade, part-sun area? 2. What...

DALLAS, TX
Flowering and fruting of Texas wild plums and where they grow
Could you please tell me about Texas wild plum treesówhen they flower, when they bear fruit and where they grow.

Dallas, TX
When and how to prune lavender (Lavandula sp.)
Dear Mr. Smarty Plants I have a Goodwin Creek Lavender plant that I planted last year. It did very well but my question is about pruining. It seems that there is some growth coming up now that it...

Dallas, TX
Pictures of Bastard Cabbage from Dallas TX
HI! Re your March 12 posting: The USDA Plants website pictures two very different looking plants identified as Rapistrum rugosum (bastardcabbage). Would you please post a photo with leaf and bloom ...

Dallas, TX
Seedball Germination in Dallas, TX
Last Fall we created thousands of seedballs with Lady Bird's wildflower seed mixture, compost and clay, and planted them along a bike trail in Dallas, Texas. We are so disappointed because nothing h...

Dallas, TX
Are Bradford pear fruits poisonous to dogs?

Dallas, TX
Irrigation of landscaping project after 1 year in San Antonio
Hello, I am working on a project in San Antonio where the following vegetation types have been specified: cedar elm, bald cypress, 'Tifway 419' bermuda grass, mountain laurel, esperanza, and lantana...

Dallas, TX
Plants for field mice in habitat restoration in Dallas County, Texas
For grassland and bottomland habitat restoration projects in North Central Texas (Dallas), what native plants would be beneficial as food sources for field mice. Thanks.

Dallas, TX
Native evergreen shrub for Dallas
Mr. Smarty Plants, I live in Dallas and I am trying to look for a native evergreen shrub that blooms and works well in full to partial sun. I thought about "lantana" and/or a "firecracker", but...

Dallas, TX
Rocky Stream Bank Plants for Dallas, TX
Need live stake shrubbery or tree ideas for a rocky stream bank prone to high water. Thank you