A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Dallas, TX
Non-native Star Jasmine poisonous to dogs from Dallas
Is star jasmine poisonous to dogs?

Dallas, TX
Perennial wildflowers for lawn in Dallas
What perennial wildflowers can I plant in Dallas Texas that will bloom in March or early April that I can just toss out on the lawn? I know you have to soak bluebonnets.

Dallas, TX
Plants for dry containers in Dallas
I have four, rectangular, low to the ground, clay pots on either side of my garage. They face the west and I usually forget to water them. Cactus worked but I planted the kind with thorns! Any ideas...

Dallas, TX
Privacy hedge for Dallas area
We live in the Park Cities area of Dallas, and our neighbors are right on top of us. Our lot is small, but I'm looking for a privacy hedge or small tree to plant along the side of the fence. It needs...

Dallas, TX
Is post oak resistant to oak wilt from Dallas TX
I am confused. The NPIN website says that Post Oak IS susceptible to oak wilt, but all the other information I have been able to find says that it is resistant to oak wilt and rarely gets the diesase....

Dallas, TX
Controlling erosion with grasses in Dallas, TX
After consulting with several geological engineers and the city of Dallas engineers - we know that our severe erosion problem can only be fixed by building a 35' foot high gabion wall about 150' in ...

Dallas, TX
Problems with Texas Mountain Laurel in Dallas
I have a Texas Mountain Laurel that is about 3 years old. When I bought it 2 summers ago, it was about a foot high. Now it is over 6 feet. It seems to have grown so fast that the branches can't ke...

Dallas, TX
Propagation of trumpet vines from Dallas
Can you tell me about trumpet vines, can they be rooted in water? I heard they reseed at the end of their growing season.

Dallas, TX
Native plants to grow with Earth Kind roses
I garden on Blackland Prairie clay in Dallas. I am planning an Earth Kind rose bed. I am planning to add 3" of compost and 3" of expanded shale and to mulch with 3" of organic material, as recomm...

Dallas, TX
Prairie remnant threatened by non-native Queen Anne's lace in Dallas
A blackland prairie remnant is being invaded by Queen Ann's Lace. What are the best, least chemical, methods of getting rid of it without damaging the native grasses and wildflowers? Thank you!

Dallas, TX
Ground cover for Dallas in shade and partial shade
What ground cover plants will grow in full shade- partial shade in the clay soil of Dallas?

Dallas, TX
Supplier for native lawn grass for South Texas
Where would I buy native lawn grass for South Texas? Would it be sod or seed?

Dallas, TX
Smarty Plants on Wildflower Meadow Gardening
Good morning! I want to overseed a buffalo lawn that has been down for about a year with a wildflower mix, how would you recommend that we prepare the site.

Dallas, TX
Native plant town ordinances in New Mexico/Chihuahuan Desert
I'm interested in city/town landscape ordinances in the New Mexico/Chihuahuan Desert area. What towns do you think do a good job using native plants?

Dallas, TX
Ivy for wall cover in Dallas
I am trying to cover older apartments with Ivy to create a beautiful exterior look, but after reading several articles on how the Texas Sun kills Ivy, I would like to know what plant can I use to crea...

Dallas, TX
What plant grows in extremely hot Texas weather in the shade in Dallas Texas?
What plant grows in extremely hot Texas weather in the shade?

Dallas, TX
Seeding wildflowers in Dallas
What is the best way to establish seed for wildflowers in Dallas, TX? The area does get some irrigation from rotors. Would hydromulch be the most effective option?

Dallas, TX
Need suggestions for shrubs for for screening along a 70 ft fence in Dallas, TX.
Hi, My new home backyard is right adjacent to an intersection of reasonably busy roads. The other side of one of these roads is commercial area. From your website, I understand that Wax Myrtle is bes...

Dallas, TX
Wildflower gardening for Henderson Co. TX
We purchased some of the Lady Bird's Legacy Wild Flower Mix and the Hummers and Singers to plant on Ranch in East Texas, Henderson County, that has Sandy Loam Soil. We would like to plant the seeds i...

Dallas, TX
Need suggestion for a replacement tree in Dallas, TX.
We are going to have a 25' tall tree removed and ground out because every year squirrels chew the branches and make huge piles on the deck and into the pool. This continues for a good month 1.5. Hen...

Dallas, TX
Wildflower garden with Castilleja indivisa (Indian paintbrush)
I want to start a wildflower garden in my front/backyard. Specifically, I would like to include the indian paintbrush. What is the best way to go about this? Straight in the ground, containers, etc...