Tuesday - March 27, 2007

From: Weatherford, TX
Title: Plants for shady courtyard classroom garden in Weatherford, TX

I am wanting to create an outdoor classroom area in the courtyard of my school. The courtyard is enclosed by all four sides and the building is two stories high. It does not receive much sunlight. Most of the ground is covered with pavers but long narrow pockets of earth were left unpaved. I would like to incorporate native plants in those areas, and habitats but I am concerned because there is little sunlight and do not have resources for experimentation. I do not have a green thumb but love the outdoors, especially conservation and natives. Thank you!

Here are a few suggestions for plants native to Parker County, Texas that will tolerate at least partial shade:

Chasmanthium latifolium (Indian woodoats)

Elymus canadensis (Canada wildrye)

Phyla nodiflora (turkey tangle fogfruit or frogfruit)

Geum canadense (white avens)

Viola sororia (common blue violet)

Chamaecrista fasciculata (partridge pea)

Conoclinium coelestinum (blue mistflower)

Coreopsis tinctoria (golden tickseed)

Solidago gigantea (giant goldenrod)

Teucrium canadense (Canada germander)

Passiflora lutea (yellow passionflower)

Cornus drummondii (roughleaf dogwood)

Elymus canadensis

Phyla nodiflora

Geum canadense

Viola sororia

Chamaecrista fasciculata

Conoclinium coelestinum

Coreopsis tinctoria

Solidago gigantea

Teucrium canadense

Passiflora lutea

Cornus drummondii