From: Louisville, KY
Topic: Propagation, Shade Tolerant, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Seed source for Carex texensis from Louisville KY

QUESTION:

Your reply to my question re a grass for my Kentucky home with cistern only water available was much appreciated, Carex texensis was recommended. I am unable to find this product for sale other than potted plants, at $12 apiece this is not feasible for us, Any ideas or suggestions where the seeds would be available?

ANSWER:

We are sorry about that. We have learned that the availability of turf plants for shade is limited at best. When you go to the webpage on Carex texensis (Texas sedge), you will learn that it can be propagated both by root division and seeds. We agree that the cost of pots initially is discouraging, but once you get some sedge growing, you can make your own divisions. Not a quick fix, but quick fixes often backfire.

Try going to our National Suppliers Directory, putting your town and state (or zip code) into the "Enter Search Location" box, and click on "Go". This will give you a list of native plant seed suppliers, nurseries and landscape consultants in your general area. Your best chance is going to be via mail order. We already tried our favorite mail order seed supplier in Texas, Native American Seed, but they do not now carry Texas Sedge. When we test drove this procedure for Louisville, KY we got this list. They all have contact information and since we don't know much about the geography of Kentucky, suggest you try contacting them first, before you start driving around hunting them. If the suppliers you contact don't carry what you want, they might be able to suggest a source or order the seed for you. Good Luck!