Sunday - November 02, 2008

From: Rodeo, CA
Title: Shade tolerant plant for Rodeo, California

QUESTION:

I live in Rodeo, California and I need to know what is a good green plant I can get to place in a shady area

ANSWER:

Well, Mr. Smarty Plants will tell you how to search for and find a plant yourself.  First, go to our Recommended Species page and select 'Northern California' from the map or the pull-down menu.  This will give you a list of 158 native plant species that are commercially available for landscaping in northern California.  Next, select the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option and click both "Part shade—2 to 6 hours of sun per day" and "Shade—Less than 2 hours of sun per day".  This will give you a list of 85 native plants (herbaceous, shrubs and trees) to choose from. 

Here are a few herbaceous choices:

Collinsia heterophylla (purple Chinese houses)

Aquilegia formosa (western columbine)

Ipomopsis aggregata (scarlet gilia)

Mimulus lewisii (purple monkeyflower)

And, here are a few evergreen shrubs:

Mahonia repens (creeping barberry)

Gaultheria shallon (salal)

Ceanothus velutinus (snowbrush ceanothus)

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (kinnikinnick)