The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center has partnered with Native American Seed to provide Seed Grants to Texas schools, nonprofits, and other worthy educational or child-centered organizations for creating wildflower demonstration areas on their campuses, enhancing existing wildflower plantings or other educationally directed projects. Seed Grants are not available for projects in private residences.
Seed Grants provide recipients with a gift certificate between $100 to $500 to purchase native wildflower and/or grass seeds from Native American Seed.
A short application is required (see below).
Seed Grant Criteria
- Grants are for Texas schools, nonprofits and other worthy educational or child-centered organizations.
- Grant applications must to be approved by a school principal or supervisor (if another type of organization) before submitting.
- The planting area should be at least 500 square feet (1,000 square feet is recommended). An average pound of wildflower mix easily covers 1,000 square feet. A $100.00 grant covers a pound of native wildflower seeds.
- Only one seed grant application per location can be submitted in one calendar year.
- Seed Grant recipients agree to submit a project report within one year of the date of the award, including before and after pictures of the planting area. If the project involves elementary, middle or high school students, students should be included in the development of the report. If a report is not received, recipients will not be eligible to apply for another Seed Grant until a report has been received.
Recommendations for Success
For a Seed Grant project to be successful, we recommend the following:
- The project leader should be knowledgeable and committed.
- Applicants for Seed Grants should establish a mentoring partnership with a member of Texas Master Naturalists, the Native Plant Society of Texas or some other local environmental organization.
Applications will be considered year round provided there are funds in the Seed Grant program. Improperly submitted applications will not be considered for Seed Grants.
How Are Seed Grants Funded?
Seed Grants are funded by purchases of Native American Seed’s Lady Bird Johnson Legacy Mix, a selection of Central Texas wildflower seeds that was developed in collaboration with the Wildflower Center. A percent of seed sale proceeds goes to the grant program. The annuals and perennials included in the mix are among Mrs. Johnson’s favorites and are well-suited to Central Texas. View a list of the plants included in the mix here.