Friday - January 09, 2015

Topic: Meadow Gardens, Planting, Grasses or Grass-like, Herbs/Forbs, Wildflowers
Title: wildflowers with interesting seed heads for winter interest

QUESTION:

I am looking to establish a wildflower meadow this year, and I want to include wildflowers that have interesting seed heads for winter interest. What would be your recommendation? Thanks!

ANSWER:

Preserving interesting plant parts for winter arrangements is a popular pastime.  There are many local native plants well suited for the purpose. Monarda citriodora (Lemon beebalm)Solidago altissima (Tall goldenrod)Ratibida columnifera (Mexican hat)Anaphalis margaritacea (Western pearly everlasting)Arnoglossum plantagineum (Groovestem indian plantain)Baccharis neglecta (False willow)Vernonia lindheimeri (Woolly ironweed)Eryngium leavenworthii (Leavenworth's eryngo) and Euphorbia bicolor (Snow on the prairie) are common examples.  And don't forget the often beautiful seed heads of grasses, such as Andropogon glomeratus (Bushy bluestem)Sorghastrum nutans (Indiangrass)Setaria scheelei (Southwestern bristlegrass),Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats) and Muhlenbergia capillaris (Gulf muhly). Often the centerpiece of the arrangement is seedpods of an agave, such as Agave americana (American century plant)Agave parryi (Parry's agave) or Hesperaloe parviflora (Red yucca).

Many plants or seeds of these species can be found at your local plant nurseries.  Grass seeds are available from the Native American Seed.

Tall goldenrod
Solidago altissima

Mexican hat
Ratibida columnifera

Western pearly everlasting
Anaphalis margaritacea

Groovestem indian plantain
Arnoglossum plantagineum

False willow
Baccharis neglecta

Woolly ironweed
Vernonia lindheimeri

Bushy bluestem
Andropogon glomeratus

Indiangrass
Sorghastrum nutans

Southwestern bristlegrass
Setaria scheelei

Inland sea oats

Gulf muhly
Muhlenbergia capillaris