Thursday - July 25, 2013

From: Buda, TX
Title: Identity of small "Pitcher" plants growing in backyard

QUESTION:

I have small pitcher plants growing in the grass in my backyard. Looks like very dark cobra. Come every summer when very hot. They are about 4 or 5 inches from base to tip of hood. I have a pic. let me know how to send.

ANSWER:

This sounds like Aristolochia erecta (Swanflower).  It is an intriguing little plant that is usually missed unless it is blooming.   It is larval host to Battus philenor (Pipevine swallowtail) butterflies.  You might be able to find some of the larvae feeding on the plants if you look closely.

Here are more photos and information from the Image Archive of Central Texas Plants from the School of Biological Sciences, University of Texas and from Tales of the Back Alley Biologist.

If this isn't your plant, please visit our Plant Identification page to find links to several plant identification forums that will accept photos of plants for identification.