A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Buda, TX
When is the best time to transplant Esperanza bushe in Buda, TX?
When is the best time to transplant an Esperanza bush? I want to move it because it is overwhelming my front yard. Thank you,

Buda, TX
When is best time to transplant Ezperanza shrubs in Buda, TX?
I need to transplant 2 huge Esperanza's...when is the best time to uproot them and not kill them?

Buda, TX
Need small, fast growing trees for privacy screen in Buda, TX.
Please recommend some small, but fast growing, flowering trees to plant along a western fence for privacy

Buda, TX
Identity of small "Pitcher" plants growing in backyard
I have small pitcher plants growing in the grass in my backyard. Looks like very dark cobra. Come every summer when very hot. They are about 4 or 5 inches from base to tip of hood. I have a pic. le...

Buda, TX
Red maple with burnt leaves in Buda TX
I planted a red maple last fall. Planted in full sun here in Buda Texas. The leaves are yellowing and then they dry out completely almost looks burnt. Problem starts in middle of leaf and then works i...

Buda, TX
Fast growing, tall evergreens for privacy in Buda, Texas
I need to plant fast growing tall evergreens along a western 6 ft privacy fence. The function is privacy, and sound deadening. Our western privacy fence is along a 2 way noisy highway. Please advise a...

Buda, TX
Drought-tolerant plants that are non-toxic to dogs
I am looking for drought-tolerant native plants non-poisonious to dogs. We are putting gardens in an area the dog has access to, and she likes to sample the darndest things. South side of the house,...

Buda, TX
Wildlife management tax exemption
I live on 10 acres of prairie land near Austin. I want to learn about drying and pressing and gluing and preserving wildflowers as art in pictures and bookmarks and cards. My attempts have failed an...

Buda, TX
Watering trees and shrubs in Buda TX
Should we be watering our green ash, red tips, chinkapin, burr oaks and yaupon shrubs during the drought? They are all starting to brown and drop leaves. THANKS!

Buda, TX
Caring for Texas Buckeye in Buda TX
I have a Texas Buckeye that is planted in a moderate amount of shade. It is growing very slowly, and only holds on to it's leaves from late March to August. It has been in the ground for about 4-5 ye...

Buda, TX
Problems with Green Cloud purple sage in Buda TX
I planted the "Green Cloud" variety of purple sage about 3 years ago. Yesterday, I noticed yellowish dots on the underside of the leaves of some plants. Is this harmful? The plants seem to be ok ...

Buda, TX
Is Ashe juniper (Juniperus ashei) really native to the Texas Hill Country?
I had heard that the Ashe Juniper was not native to the hill country or even Texas. Is this true? What is their history? They sure make it hard for the elms and oaks to thrive. We have decided to re...

Buda, TX
Is Tagetes lemmonii (Copper Canyon Daisy) native to the Southwest?
Due to the continued drought I have resolved to only use native plants in my garden. Copper canyon daisy is be recommended more often at nurseries. The NPSOT lists it a native of Arizona, yet I cann...

Buda, TX
Splitting bark on non-native mimosa from Buda TX
What would cause my Mimosa tree to have splitting bark. I've only lived in this house for 8 months and am learning about this tree. The other tree seems fine. It looks as though it split and then ...

Buda, TX
Best places to obtain native plants
Where is the best place to get native plants ?

Buda, TX
Clarification for botanical (Latin) names for Herbertia
I am looking for a clarification of scientific names. In the classic wildflower book 'Wildflowers of Texas' the author, Geyata Ajilvsgi, attributes the plant Herbertia with the name Alophia drummon...

Buda, TX
Need information about pruning Persimmon trees in Buda, TX.
Mr. Smarty, We have many wild persimmon trees in our yard. Some I want prune to bush size. What is the best way to prune these trees and to what extent can they be safely pruned. Thank you for shari...

Buda, TX
Optimal time to separate and transplant black-eyed Susan
When is the optimal time to separate or transplant black eyed Susan. I have some in a planter on my patio, but it has multiplied and become too crowded for the pot; it needs water daily.

Buda, TX
Using Erosion Mats to Discourage Deer in Buda, Texas
I have a small back yard that has turned into a throughway for a large herd of deer. Whenever I try to grow grass the deer pull out the grasses. The more I water it, the more deer traffic. I was wo...

Buda, TX
Danger of lichens damaging trees
My mom lives east of Buda, Texas where she has planted many different kinds of trees, which are all over 10 years old. Now, they all have a moss or lichen growing on the bark of the trees. She is worr...

Buda, TX
How to control Yellow Woodsorrel in Habiturf?
Last year we planted Habiturf in our front lawn and prepared the ground as directed with organic compost. This year we have an infestation of low growing yellow oxalis which we believe came in with t...