Sunday - May 10, 2009

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Yellow lupine-like flowers
Answered by: Damon Waitt

I recently visited Hodges Gardens near Many, LA. There was a large plant, 2' tall with spikey yellow lupine-like flowers. Plant had hairy leaves and a big spread--I'm sure it is a wild perennial. I have inquired at Hodges but received no response and googled as well. A fellow visitor called it wild tobacco, but a search for that didn't show a similar picture. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks so much.

This is just a guess based on your description, but it could be Baptisia bracteata var. leucophaea (longbract wild indigo) or Baptisia sphaerocarpa (yellow wild indigo). If not, the green guru recommends you submit a photo of the plant at http://www.wildflower.org/expert/plantid.php

Baptisia bracteata var. leucophaea

Baptisia sphaerocarpa