Monday - June 03, 2013

From: Louisville, KY
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders, Trees
Title: Problems with non-native Callery Pear tree from Louisville KY

QUESTION:

I have a Cleveland select that has a bark issue. It is on its second season and I just saw this. It looks like the bark is bubbling up kinda and then wants to peel off the main trunk. I have a picture if that would help. Thanks!

ANSWER:

When you said you have a "Cleveland select" we weren't sure if that was a ballplayer or what. Then you said it had a bark issue, so we searched the Internet on "Cleveland select tree" which yielded the information that there is a tree named Pyrus Calleryana (pear tree) which has a cultivar named "Cleveland Select." Another quick Internet search revealed that Pyrus calleryana is native to China and Japan. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which that plant is being grown, so we can't help you with this problem.

From Ohio State University this article Pyrus  calleryana will give you some information on the tree. We would suggest you either contact a local registered arborist or the University of Kentucky Cooperative Extension Office for Jefferson County.

Oh, and sorry, we no longer are able to accept pictures.