Mr. Smarty Plants - Information on non-native Leopard wort

Tuesday - February 10, 2009

From: Round Rock, TX
Title: Information on non-native Leopard wort

QUESTION:

I'm looking for information on the herbaceous perennial, Leopard wort.

ANSWER:

According to this Floridata website, Farfugium japonicum, Leopard plant,  is native to rocky, coastal cliffs in Japan, Korea and Taiwan, and therefore not in our Native Plant Database. From the Floridata site, however, we did learn that parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is focused on the care, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but the the area in which the plant is being grown.