Mr. Smarty Plants - Spreading bluebonnets in pasture from Ledbetter TX

Monday - April 29, 2013

From: Ledbetter, TX
Topic: Propagation, Seeds and Seeding, Wildflowers
Title: Spreading bluebonnets in pasture from Ledbetter TX

QUESTION:

I've found a small patch of bluebonnets in my back pasture in Ledbetter, tx. What is the best method of encouraging their spread across the pasture? I've heard that one can pull up the plants and spread them around after the seed pods are brown and dried up. I've also heard that you can mow them and then rake the refuse out from the center. In that case, is it better to mow with a lawn mower, or with a brush hog. Thanks for your advice!

ANSWER:

Our How-To Article on How to Grow Bluebonnets basically answers all your questions. According to this USDA Plant Profile Map  Lupinus texensis (Texas bluebonnet) grows naturally in Fayette County, so you obviously have the right kind of soils and climate for them.

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis

Texas bluebonnet
Lupinus texensis