Monday - May 19, 2008

From: Oak Forest, IL
Title: My Niagara grape cutting is not growing; be patient

Hello. I live in a city about 10 miles from Chicago IL. I like grapes they are my favorate fruit to just eat. I bought a niagara grape plant that was a cutting (it looked like nothing more then a stick with some roots on the bottom). I followed the instructions soaked it in a bowl of water overnight and planted it in a high sun light area with plenty of water. But so far after a week and a half nothing has happened. I was wondering when these usually start to grow? Thanks Doug R.

The Niagara grape is a cultivar of a cross between Concord grapes and Cassaday grapes that was established in 1868 in Niagara County New York.

We're thinking that you may need to be more patient. The root system needs to become well established before it can begin to support (ie provide nutrients and water ) the upper portions of the plant. So give it a little more time. While you're waiting, click here for more information about cultivating your Niagara grape vines.