Monday - May 07, 2012

From: Gatesville, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Looking for Irises for Coryell County, TX.

I'm looking for a hearty plant for Coryell County, TX. My mother always referred to these plants as "flags." I assume it is a type of iris. I'm looking for the one that will survive in the Central Texas summer.

The iris family (family Iridaceae) consists of herbs growing from rhizomes, bulbs, or corms, with narrow basal leaves and showy flower clusters at the tips of long stalks. There are 25 species of Iris in our NPIN Database with Iris fulva (Copper iris) and Iris hexagona (Dixie iris) occurring in Texas. Mr. Smarty Plants is going to refer you to four organizations that can probably furnish an answer to your inquiry.

Coryell County office of Texas AgriLife Extension 

The Tonkawa Chapter of the Native Plant Socioety of Texas (NPSOT)

The Fort Worth Iris Society

Argyle Acres Iris Gardens

Copper iris
Iris fulva

Dixie iris
Iris hexagona