Saturday - September 24, 2005

From: Anchorage, AK
Region: Northwest
Title: Source of Datil Yucca for Anchorage, AK

Mr Smarty Plants, I want to buy a Datil Yucca Plant. I live in Anchorage Alaska. Can you tell me where I might be able to purchase one?

Datil Yucca or Banana Yucca (Yucca baccata) is a native of the Southwest United States. Although it is reported to be viable to 0° , it is not likely to survive the extended low temperatures outdoors of Anchorage winters. Another yucca Soapweed, or Narrow-leaf, Yucca (Yucca glauca) is likely to be more cold tolerant since it is native as far north as Alberta, Canada.

You can visit the National Suppliers Directory in the Native Plant Information Network to search for nurseries. A preliminary brief search in the National Suppliers Directory shows Plants of the Southwest in Santa Fe, NM listing both yuccas for sale.