Saturday - December 08, 2012

From: Spring Hill, TN
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Trees
Title: Source for dwarf red mulberry from Spring Hill TN

QUESTION:

Hello: Where can I buy a dwarf red mulberry tree in the USA? Thanks

ANSWER:

Morus rubra (Red mulberry) is a shrub native to Tennessee; however; a dwarf form does not appear in our Native Plant Database. Here is an article on a version of Dwarf Red Mulberry, from the San Francisco Chronicle, with this description of dwarf versions:

"Dwarf mulberries are smaller versions of traditional mulberry trees and produce berries that are about half the size of traditional mulberries. They also take up less space in your yard because they are smaller than traditional mulberry trees."

We would suggest you first go to our National Suppliers Directory, type your town and state or just your zip code into the "Enter Search Location" box, resulting in a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and consultants in your general area. All have contact information, so you can find out if the plant you are seeking is in stock, or can be ordered, before you start driving around. We also tried Googling on "dwarf red mulberry in Tennessee" and got a lot of nursery sites without a clue where they were, and it would appear they are mostly mail-order plant merchants.

Red mulberry
Morus rubra

Red mulberry
Morus rubra