Mr. Smarty Plants - Is the fruit on Texas olive (Cordia boissieri) edible?

Sunday - October 17, 2010

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Is the fruit on Texas olive (Cordia boissieri) edible?

QUESTION:

I planted Cordia boissieri (Texas olive) in my garden and its thriving. Now I'm getting fruit from the tree; they are grape-sized waxy and soft. Is this fruit edible (by humans)? Should it be handled like Olive Olea europaea and fermentated or cured with lye or brine to make it more palatable?

ANSWER:

For the edibility of Cordia boissieri (Mexican olive)—maybe yes, maybe no.  You aren't the first person to question Mr. Smarty Plants about this plant.  You can find the questions previously asked and their answers at this link and another link.

Here are some links to different opinions about the edibility of the Mexican olive:

Master Gardeners of the University of Arizona Pima Cooperative Extension

University of Florida IFAS Extension

Texas AgriLife Research and Extension at Uvalde

Texas Beyond History from the University of Texas at Austin College of Liberal Arts