A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Spring Hill, TN
Source for dwarf red mulberry from Spring Hill TN
Hello: Where can I buy a dwarf red mulberry tree in the USA? Thanks

Columbia, TN
Propagation of Cahaba lily from Columbia TN
My cahaba lilies have so many seed pods. I would like to use the seeds properly to grow more lilies. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about it? Thank you

Columbia, TN
Small tree for yard in Columbia TN
I have a somewhat small yard but the construction workers put a water and sewer drain in the middle of my yard. The sewer main is located on the far side of my property my width of yard is 60 feet wid...

Franklin, TN
Annuals victims of allelopathy under a hackberry tree in Franklin TN
In our new home's back yard we have a 30' hackberry tree that's less than 20' from our house, on the NW side. I planted your typical shade annuals, impatiens, etc., in the mulch bed under the tre...

Franklin, TN
Bluebonnets and wildflowers for Nashville TN
I have several packets individually of both bluebonnets and of wildflowers, and want to plant them on 2 hills that we have around our home. We live near Nashville, and aren't even sure if the bluebo...

Franklin, TN
Tree near a patio in Tennessee
What type of tree would you plant near a patio (new home and yard) that gets afternoon sun? Thanks

Culleoka, TN
Juniper-apple rust galls
I have Red Cedar trees in my yard. I have just noticed something that looks like a reddish brown squid-like bloom about the size of a small orange. Is this normal or is it a fungus?

Brentwood, TN
Native wildflowers and grasses for sunny field in Nashville, TN
I want to plant wildflowers in a sunny field (old pasture land) in Nashville, Tennessee. I plan on killing the existing weeds and tall grasses with roundup this fall and planting native grasses (wha...

Lewisburg, TN
I have a 50 ft tree in my front forest apartment in Lewisburg, TN garden, that is blooming white cluster flowers. They are slightly fragrant. I thought Carolina silverbell but they have NO yellow stam...

kingston springs, TN
Mystery Iris-like plant in Tennessee
What is this flower? It came up and bloomed for about five days then died. It was a beautiful white trumpet shaped flower. It had one stem with four flowers. It came up like an Iris but we nver plante...

Antioch, TN
Identity of white flowers, 6 petals and 5 yellow stamens
Have white flower with 6 petals and 5 yellow stamen in middle . Looks like yellow stamen star cluster. Could be Gladious or Star of bethleham but Star has 6 yellow stamen in middle right? Can you id...

Antioch, TN
Identification of vine with 4-petaled purple flower
Does anybody know what vine has a purple four petaled flower with small bulb in middle??

Bon Aqua , TN
Need Plant Identification from Bon Aqua, Tennessee?
By a creek, I found a plant that I have never seen in my life. It has a tall stalk and has leaves like a weed or grass, and the flower looks like a pine tree. The plant looks like a mix of a grass, a...

Nashville , TN
Identity of a fern-like plant in Nashville TN.
There is a fern like plant that is growing in partial sun in my front yard. It closes and opens with the sun. Its leaves are lacy and long; so far no flowers. I have pictures but not for this format...

Nashville, TN
Distance from existing oak trees to place paving
We are designing an expansion for an existing veterinary office and the desired side for expansion will require addition to the parking and drive aisle to the back side of the property. My question i...

Nashville, TN
Wildflowers blooming in Austin in October
Does the Austin area have any flowers that grow/bloom in October? I'm getting married in Austin in October and want the entire event to be as earth-friendly as possible..hence native flowers.

Nashville, TN
List of native plants for landscaping in Nashville, TN
Can you provide a list of plants that I can landscape with in Nashville, Tennessee?

Nashville, TN
Difference beteen two non-native photinias from Nashville TN
What is the difference between red tip phontinias and fireball phontinias. I read that fireballs are also called red tips but I thought that red tips grow to like 12 ft. and the tag on the fireball I...

Nashville, TN
Arisaema triphyllum as an insect eater
Is the Jack in the Pulpit an insect eater?

Nashville, TN
Eradiacation of johnsongrass along roadways
What does latest research show on eradication of Johnsongrass along roadways?

Nashville, TN
Source of black cherries for Tennessee
I need to know where black cherries grow in TN. I need a source of black cherries in TN. Do they grow easily and can the trees be bought?