Saturday - October 29, 2011

Topic: Diseases and Disorders, Pruning, Trees
Title: Time to trim oak trees in Austin

QUESTION:

We have several large oak trees in desperate need of a good trimming. Given that the trees have had a very stressful drought year, when would be the best time to trim them?

ANSWER:

Two words-NOT NOW! Not even now that it has finally cooled off, not now. Here is a previous answer that deals with some of the questions about pruning and prevention of disease; saves us all that typing. You didn't say what kind of oaks you have, and some Texas oaks are more resistant to oak wilt, but it doesn't hurt to be super cautious about these very valuable trees. The stress that all of our area has been under is only adding to the vulnerability of the oaks. We suggest you contact a licensed, trained arborist and schedule a pruning session for sometime between November 15 and January 15, and insist that he paints any wound larger around than your thumb with pruning paint.