Thursday - May 13, 2010

From: St. Augustine, FL
Title: Looking for a source for Dollarweed in St. Augustine FL.

QUESTION:

I need a source of Dollar Weed Seed and/or plants. The back yard has been regraded to correct direction of rain water drainage.

ANSWER:

Your question causes some confusion for Mr. Smarty Plants. First of all is the common name; Dollar Weed in Texas often brings to mind the plant Dichondra microntha which  is considered a weed by some and a turf grass by others. Since you are in Florida, I'm going to assume that the Dollar Weed you're intrested in is Hydrocotyle spp. or Pennywort. Another point of confusion is that most of the sites I've found on the internet are about getting rid of the Dollarweed, not planting it.

A previously  answered question has some nice things to say about Pennywort, and pondbiz.com has the plants for sale.