Wednesday - March 02, 2005

From: catspring, TX
Title: More on bluebonnets
Answered by: Joe Marcus and Nan Hampton

Where can I find seeds for maroon bluebonnets? I understand that Texas A&M has developed cultivars for this plant in as many as four colors. I haven't been able to find a source for them.

Dr. Jerry Parsons, Professor and Horticulturist for Texas Cooperative Extension of the Texas A&M University System is responsible for developing a maroon-colored cultivar of L. texensis.  Maroon, of course, is Texas A&M's school color. Seeds of this Texas maroon bluebonnet, L. texensis 'Alamo Fire', are available to purchase from Wildseed Farms in Fredericksburg, Texas. You can read what Dr. Parsons has to say about the development of this maroon cultivar as well as the white-, lavender-, pink- and red-flowered varieties of Lupinus texensis