Friday - August 06, 2010

From: Tomball, TX
Title: Want to take cuttings from Yaupon in Tomball, TX.

From Tomball, Texas - we have a very shaded back yard and would like some lower growing shrubbery as a screen for the neighbors. Wild yaupon holly is growing well on the fringes and I would like to fill it in with more. Please give advice on how to propagate these, as I am sure it will be cheaper than buying plants at a nursery. Thank you.

Wild Yaupon Holly, Ilex vomitoria (yaupon) can, according to its NPIN page, be propagaed by using semi-hardwood cuttings taken in the Fall. 

What are semi-hardwood cuttings you may ask? Mr. Smarty Plants will give you five resources that should provide a lot of infromation for this project. They all tell you pretty much the same thing, but the calrity of explanation and illustration vary from one to another. As you read, you will learn that this task will require quite a bit of time and patience. While you wait for Fall to take your cuttings, you might want to check the prices of Yaupons at your local native plant nursery. Consult our National Suppliers Directory to find one near you.

Sources for Plant Propagation

Ohio State University Extension

North Carolina State University

Washington State University Cooperative Extension

Virginia Cooperative Extension

University of British Columbia Botanical Garden