Mr. Smarty Plants - Source for Texas maple keys

Tuesday - October 05, 2004

Title: Source for Texas maple keys

QUESTION:

I'm looking for a source for native Texas maple keys. Know of any?

ANSWER:

There are several sources for maple keys:
1. Tull, Delena and G. O. Miller. 1999. A field guide to wildflowers, trees & shrubs of Texas. Houston: Gulf Publishing Company. pp. 167-168. This has a key and there are also photos of three of the five species included. You should be able to find this in most large bookstores or order on line from a supplier such as Amazon or Barnes & Noble. Your local library may also have a copy.
2. Diggs, George M. et al. 1999. Shinners&Mahler's Flora of North Central Texas. Fort Worth: Botanical Research Institute of Texas. pp. 219-220. This has a key, line drawings, and descriptive text but no photographs. This is a large and somewhat expensive book. Your library might have it, but you would probably have to special order it from most bookstores.
3. Correll, Donovan and M. Johnston. 1970. Manual of the Vascular Plants of Texas. Renner, TX: Texas Research Foundation. pp. 1001-1003. This has a key and descriptive text, but no line drawings or photos. This book is out of print, but your library might have it.
4. Simpson, Benny J. 1999. A field guide to Texas trees. Houston: Gulf Publishing Company. pp. 45-51. This has descriptive text, photographs, and distribution maps, but NO key. It should be available in most bookstores and perhaps in your library.
5. Cox, Paul and P. Leslie. 1988. Texas trees: a friendly guide. San Antonio: Corona Publishing Co. This has descriptive text and line drawings, but no photographs or NO key. This book is out of print but perhaps you could find it at your library.