Mr. Smarty Plants - Is Lycopodium digitatum native to South Carolina?

Thursday - December 27, 2012

From: Anderson, SC
Region: Select Region
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Is Lycopodium digitatum native to South Carolina?

QUESTION:

Is Lycopodium digitatum native to SC; do you know if it's available in SC nurseries?

ANSWER:

Yes, Lycopodium digitatum Lycopodium digitatum (Fan clubmoss) is found throughout the eastern US (distribution map) including South Carolina. In South Carolina, it is restricted to counties in the northwest part of the state, excluding Anderson County.

This link  gives a good description of the plant and its habitat. From the reading, I get the idea that is isn’t particularly easy to cultivate, and thus may not be readily available in the horticultural trade.

However, I did find links to two possible sources of the plants.

doleaf.com/plants 
WildThings Rescue Nursery

For some help closer to home, try contacting the South Carolina Native Plant Society.