Tuesday - September 29, 2009

From: Richardson, TX
Title: Earliest spring wildflower from Richardson TX
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

What spring wildflower is consistently among the first to bloom in North Texas?"

ANSWER:

Anemone berlandieri (tenpetal thimbleweed) is typically the first-flowering spring wildflower in North Texas. It sometimes flowers as early as late January, though sometime in February is more common. Technically, Tetraneuris scaposa (stemmy four-nerve daisy) is earlier flowering since it blooms pretty much continuously year-round. If you go out to walk off your New Years Day lunch and see a low-growing yellow daisy blooming, chances are it's T. scaposa

Anemone berlandieri

Anemone berlandieri

Tetraneuris scaposa

Tetraneuris scaposa