A: There are those who suspect Wildflower Center volunteers Nan Hampton, Jimmy Mills and Barbara Medford to be the culpable and capable parties. Yet, others think staff members Damon Waitt, Joe Marcus and Philip Hawkins might play some, albeit small, role. You can torture us with your plant questions, but we will never reveal the Green Guru's secret identity.

Support NPINHelp grow the Native Plant Information Network by giving to the Plant Database Fund or subcribing to Wildflower magazine.

Subscribe online now
Mr. Smarty Plants would give Wildflower magazine two thumbs up...if he had two thumbs.

Rchardson, TX
Smarty Plants on Jewel of the Nile
My husband and I just returned from a short trip to San Francisco. While on a bus tour that took us to the Twin Peaks area, we saw some beautiful purple flowers growing on the hillside. Our tour guid...

Richardson, TX
Fighting ants and bugs in Richardson TX
Before my blue fall asters and my Clara Curtis (perennial) mums bloom in a few weeks, what can I do to help prevent the ants and other bugs from eating them to death- so I can enjoy them a bit longer ...

Richardson, TX
Smarty Plants on lantana in Dallas
For several years, the lantana plants in my backyard in Dallas grew and bloomed all Summer and Fall until the first real cold snap. I've loved having a native plant that didn't need constant care a...

Richardson, TX
Regenerating old cross-vines in Richardson, TX
I have been asked to landscape a memorial garden at church. The garden is small and has a 10x 15-foot brick wall around the back in a c-shape in full sun. Planted on the wall are several very overgro...

Richardson, TX
Collection dates for Charles Wright in Texas on Flame acanthus page.
Mr. SP- there is a date error for Charles Wright's collection time period in Texas, at least on the Flame Acanthus page of wildflower.org. It states, "The species name of this plant is for Charles W...

Richardson, TX
Where to purchase a Clematis pitcherii (purple leather flower) in North Texas
Do you know where in north Texas I can purchase a Clematis pitcheri, or Purple leather flower? I've looked for several years and have had no luck. Thanks!

Richardson, TX
Trimming a rock rose in Richardson TX
I have a Rock Rose (Pavonia lasiopetala)in my garden. I cannot find any information on how to trim or whether I should trim this plant. If so when? Mine is pretty much growing all over the place and...

Richardson, TX
Ornamental bunch grasses to grow under live oak
I love live oak trees and have one in the back yard that is growing nicely. I don't know if it's the shade or the leaf and acorn droppings that won't allow the grass to grow underneath it. Around...

Richardson, TX
Problems with giant coneflower in Richardson TX
Dear Mr Smarty Plants- I have had a giant coneflower in my garden for 2 years now. This year it came up like it always had..got lots of leaves and then withered..turned brown and died. It got plent...

Richardson, TX
Plant ID from Richardson TX
Need to send a pic for id.

Richardson, TX
Earliest spring wildflower from Richardson TX
What spring wildflower is consistently among the first to bloom in North Texas?"

Richardson, TX
Horseherb planting in Richardson, TX
What is the best time to plant 4" pots of Horseherb?

Plano, TX
Compact possumhaw holly for Plano TX
What variety of possumhaw holly would be best planted close to a house? I'm looking for a variety 15-25 feet, as compact as possible. Any suggestions?

Plano, TX
Evergreen ground covers and low plants for Dallas area
Would like a list of low growing (24" or less) evergreen plants including ground covers, scrubs, etc-flowering and non-flowering that are hardy and require low maintenance in the Dallas area. So ofte...

Plano, TX
Evergreen tree for privacy screen in Collin County, Texas
I am looking for a shrub or tree that will serve as a privacy screen. I would like it to grow very tall and be thick to help provide some privacy. I live in Collin County, and the area where the tre...

Plano, TX
Good evergreen screen and some shade plants for Plano Texas
We live in Plano Texas. We have 15' between our house and our neighbor. We want to plant a divider/screen of something evergreen, about 6-15' (6-8' is better) and narrow, about 2-3' wide between t...

PLANO, TX
Need help diagnosing a problem with Bur Oak in Plano, TX
I planted a bur oak 8 or 9 years ago. It has grown beautifully until this year. When opening, the leaves are very small (a couple inches) and there are lots of seeds (catkins?). I would hate to los...

Plano, TX
Tropical plants for pool landscape in Plano TX
I have a small yard with a pool that I would like to tropically landscape. It faces west (lots of direct sun) and there is about a 3 foot parameter between the fence and the coping. Currently I have...

Plano, TX
Desert Willow tree for Plano, TX
I live near Dallas, Texas. I have a small Desert Willow tree that I would like to plant. What is the root system of this tree like? Would I be able to plant it near our patio? How far from the house'...

Plano, TX
Are Eve's Necklace seeds poisonous to dogs from Plano TX
Are the seed pods on eve's necklace poisionous to dogs?

Plano, TX
Smarty Plants on caliche
I have heard of sand, silt, clay, and loam, but what is caliche?