Monday - August 10, 2009

From: Briarcliff, TX
Topic: Wildlife Gardens
Title: Plant for hummingbirds shelter in Briarcliff TX

QUESTION:

I am looking to grow a container plant for the birds to enjoy on my back deck. A little greenery and possibly a place to rest for the birds would be great. This faces west and has no shade. There are mostly hummingbirds on the deck and the nearest tree for rest is 15 feet away. Heat tolerance is a must. A shrub of some sort would be great. The deck is on a drop off so growing something from the ground is difficult. So far I have only attempted to grow a large Texas sotol which is doing great. Thank you, Ginger

ANSWER:

What a lovely and generous idea. We can think of several shrubs that could be adapted to container use, would offer shelter, and nectar for hummingbirds and butterflies. If you have not already done so, we suggest you read our How-To Article Container Gardening with Native Plants. Also, follow the links on each plant we list below to learn its expected size, etc. You may have to do some pruning to keep them within the bounds you want, so be sure you determine when it's safe to prune in terms of the blooming branches. Some of the shrubs we list are deciduous, but since most of our hummingbirds are migratory, the lack of leaves should not be a deterrent. All of these shrubs are native to Travis County, and should be dependable.

Shrubs for attracting hummingbirds in Briarcliff TX

Anisacanthus quadrifidus var. wrightii (Wright's desert honeysuckle) - deciduous, blooms red, orange June to October, sun, attracts hummingbirds and butterflies

Erythrina herbacea (redcardinal) - deciduous, blooms red March to November, , sun, attracts hummingbirds. WARNING: Seeds are poisonous, should not be used where children could have access.

Lantana urticoides (West Indian shrubverbena) - semi-evergreen, blooms red, orange, yellow April to October, attracts hummingbirds and butterflies, sun

Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush) - evergreen, blooms white, pink, violet sporadically year-round, depending on rain, sun, nectar for insects, and cover

Salvia greggii (autumn sage) - evergreen, blooms white, red, pink March to May, sun, nectar source for bees and butterflies

Senna lindheimeriana (velvet leaf senna) - dedicuous, blooms yellow August to October, sun, attracts birds, butterflies

Pictures from our Native Plant Database