Mr. Smarty Plants - A list of bloom times for wildflowers in Michigan

Wednesday - July 03, 2013

From: Paris, MI
Topic: Pollinators, Wildlife Gardens
Title: A list of bloom times for wildflowers in Michigan

QUESTION:

Hello, I am new to bee keeping and live in central Michigan. Can you tell me or do you know where I could find a list of the Michigan wild flower bloom times? This would be very helpful to me. Thanks.

ANSWER:

Here's how to find what native wildflowers are blooming at any particular time in Michigan.  Go to our Native Plant Database and do a COMBINATION SEARCH by choosing "Michigan" from the Select State or Province slot, "Herb" from Habit (general appearance) and the month (or months) you are interested in under Bloom Characteristics: Bloom Time.  You can see that there are lots of other characteristics you can choose on that page.   You might want to do another COMBINATION SEARCH using "Shrub", "Tree", or "Vine" as well.

You might like to visit our Recommended Species page to see the lists under VALUE TO BENEFICIAL INSECTS.   In particular, there is a list with the title, Special Value to Honey Bees.  Not all the plants on the list will be native to Michigan, but you can check the DISTRIBUTION list for each species to see if your state is on it.   Or, even more simply, you can use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option to the right of the list and choose "Michigan" from the Select State or Province area and then choose the month or months you are interested in from Bloom Characteristics: Bloom Time.