Mr. Smarty Plants - Shade plants for a childrens garden in Magnolia, TX

Sunday - June 21, 2009

From: Magnolia, TX
Title: Shade plants for a childrens garden in Magnolia, TX

QUESTION:

What shade plants would be good to plant in a Children's garden at a learning center?

ANSWER:

You can choose plants for this yourself by going to our Recommended Species section, clicking on East Texas on the map, and then using the Narrow Your Search by selecting "shade" under Light Requirements. Click on the Narrow Your Search box-you will get the native plants that thrive in shade (less than 2 hours of sun a day) in your part of Texas. Some of them won't be practical, so you should follow the plant link to the individual page on each plant, find out its height, water use, bloom time, etc. We are going to make a suggested list using this technique; if you don't find what you want, go back and do the search yourself. Of course, you can change some of the criteria, such as searching only for "shrubs" under Habit, or "part shade" under Light Requirements, to suit your site. We tried to choose plants that would attract bees and birds, had no toxic parts and are pretty sturdy.

Native shade plants for Magnolia TX

Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats) - perennial, 3 to 6 ft. tall, grows in most soils, medium water use, part shade or shade

Coreopsis lanceolata (lanceleaf tickseed) - perennial, evergreen, blooms yellow April to June, medium water use, sun, part shade or shade, attracts pollinators

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower) - perennial, blooms red May to October, low water use, sun, part shade or shade, attracts hummingbirds

Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii (wax mallow) - perennial shrub, blooms red May to November, medium water use, part shade or shade, attracts butterflies and hummingbirds

Phlox divaricata (wild blue phlox) - perennial, evergreen, blooms white, red, pink, purple March to May, medium water use, part shade or shade, attracts butterflies

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan) - annual to short-lived perennial, blooms yellow June to October, medium water use, sun, part shade or shade, nectar source for bees and butterflies, seeds for birds

Salvia coccinea (blood sage) - annual or perennial, blooms white, red, pink February to October, medium water use, sun, part shade or shade, attracts hummingbirds and butterflies

Coreopsis lanceolata

Lobelia cardinalis

Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii

Phlox divaricata

Rudbeckia hirta

Salvia coccinea