From: Fairfield, CT
Title: Pruning of non-native New Dawn rose in Fairfield CT

QUESTION:

Hi! Can you help me with blind shoots on a climbing rose, New Dawn? The sun is planted in the south side of the house and gets plenty of light. I have only lightly fertilized it twice a year last year. It has gorgeous green shiny foliage. Some canes have 7 leaves and some have 5. Should I prune these 7 leaf canes? Move it to another location entirely? This bush has never flowered and it is 2 years old.

ANSWER:

Believe it or not, most roses you see around are non-native to North America. Not only did most of them originate from China, but the rose is one of the most hybridized plants around. Since at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center our expertise is in plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown, we really can't help you with this. However, we found a couple of websites that probably can help you: Seattle Rose Society Rose Pruning and Zanthan Gardens Rose 'New Dawn'.