Sunday - September 28, 2008

From: Iredell, TX
Title: Non-native Japanese maple

QUESTION:

I have a small Japanese Maple that I planted last fall. I planted it under a huge pecan tree where it gets dappled shade. It has grown very little this spring and summer and the leaves are gray and crispy on the ends. Can you give me some idea what to do for it? I have mulched it heavily and water it often. It is an Acer palmatum Shaina.

ANSWER:

Thank you for your question. While we would like to answer all questions we receive, Mr. Smarty Plants' expertise is limited to plant species native to North America, their habitats and cultivation. Limited resources require us to decline answering questions that delve into other areas. We hope you understand.

You might check this UBC Botanical Garden Forum site. They frequently have information on non-native plants available.