Mr. Smarty Plants - Wound from non-native date palm thorn Naples FL

Monday - November 12, 2012

From: Naples, FL
Topic: Non-Natives, Pruning, Poisonous Plants, Shrubs
Title: Wound from non-native date palm thorn Naples FL

QUESTION:

Was trimming my pygmy date palm when a frond fell and a thorn pierced my rubber gloves and stuck me in the web of skin between my thumb and forefinger. Did not see a broken thorn but area where struck is raised and really hurts. Area is also hard but can't see anything. Is the thorn of this palm toxic? Thank you in advance for your response.

ANSWER:

As it happens, we have already answered this precise same question. Please read our previous Mr. Smarty Plants question, also from Naples FL.