Mr. Smarty Plants - Evergreen plants for shaded fence in Arizona

Wednesday - January 28, 2009

From: Scottsdale, AZ
Title: Evergreen plants for shaded fence in Arizona

QUESTION:

I need to place a fence around my front yard (4-5 ft tall), in Arizona. What evergreen flower/plant can you recommend that would grow on this fence? (it would only get about 2-4 hours of sun daily and has very poor soil, but can be watered)

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants has been able to find quite a few candidates for evergreen plants (mostly shrubs) that will grow along your fence in part shade (2 to 6 hours sun per day):

Bouvardia ternifolia (firecrackerbush)

Ceanothus fendleri (Fendler's ceanothus)  and here are photos from Southwest Colorado Wildflowers.

Chamaebatiaria millefolium (desert sweet) is semi-evergreen and here are photos from Utah State University

and CalPhotos.

Fallugia paradoxa (Apache plume) is another semi-evergreen plant. 

Fouquieria splendens (ocotillo)

Fremontodendron californicum (California flannelbush) and here are photos and information from Virginia Tech.

Larrea tridentata (creosote bush)

Mahonia haematocarpa (red barberry) with information and photos from Virginia Tech.

Mahonia repens (creeping barberry)

Nolina microcarpa (sacahuista) with more information from the University of Arizona Pima County Cooperative Extension.

Simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) and more photos and information from University of Arizona Pima County Cooperative Extension.

As far as I can discover, there are no evergreen vines native to Arizona.  You can see the vines that are native there by doing a COMBINATION SEARCH on our Native Plant Database and selecting 'Arizona' from the "Select State or Province" category and 'Vine' from the "Habit (general appearance)" category.

Bouvardia ternifolia

Fallugia paradoxa

Fouquieria splendens

Fremontodendron californicum

Larrea tridentata

Mahonia haematocarpa

Nolina microcarpa

Simmondsia chinensis