Tuesday - September 02, 2008

From: Newfane, NY
Title: Plant ID from New York

I have a large leaf from a plant that my grandfather has. We live in Niagara county NY. The large leaf is green and has a red stem, growing on a stalk THICK like a sunflower, now has red or black berries on it which the cedar waxwings and robins, etc. just eat and eat till the berries are gone. I thought it was elderberries but there is no long stem that the berries are on. Can you please identify it for me?

Sorry, we are not going to be able to identify your plant from your description. If you will send us a picture, using the following instructions, we will see what we can do.

Need help with a plant ID? Send us an email following the instructions below.

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.

2. Take several high resolution images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.

3. Save images in JPEG format.

4. Send email with images attached to id@smartyplants.org. Please enter Plant ID Request on the subject line of your email.