Mr. Smarty Plants - Weed identification

Monday - February 27, 2012

Title: Weed identification

QUESTION:

Weeds / Wildflower. I dream of a photo identification for weeds / wildflowers that pop up in my garden here in Austin, Texas. Maybe I don't want to pull them up. How do I know? Do you know of a book or website?

ANSWER:

As far as I know, there aren't any books or websites with pictures or identifications of weeds specifically for the Austin area, but I can guide you to a websites that cover various areas of the US.  All of these have photographs and many have photographs of seedlings as well as mature plants.  Many have the option of selecting characteristics (e.g., leaf shape and flower color) to narrow the list for viewing.

Websites for weed identification:

Websites for seedling identification of wildflowers:

Here are books that will help identify weeds:

Good luck!